viii ≠ We Lost the Kid

~¤°¤~

~¤°¤~

1864」

It had been a few weeks since Katherine had come to stay at the house and Valerie had been keeping a close eye on her ever since. Discreetly she had been asking around about the women but all she heard was that the young brunette was a poor orphan girl from Atlanta that lost her family in a fire, which was funny because that was in fact all they knew. As if they were unable to find out anything more.

So far Katherine had not been doing anything out of the ordinary that might tick off any human eye. But Valerie was a trained hunter of the demons of the night, she had seen the small drops of blood left over on clothing she had been instructed to fold. Since the women had come, it was like her workload had doubled, also having to do Katherine's laundry and cleaning, which annoyed her to no end. But at least it gave her the chance to snoop and snoop she did.

She had found an old necklace in one of the draws during her inspection, it was large and covered in small jewels, and made from expensive metals. On the back she had found the inscription:

Katerina Petrova
「1473」

At first, she was shocked by the year, but then again it made sense seeing as the demon had daylight jewellery, something she was taught tended to be rare.

Valerie had dealt with old vampires before, but she currently had less time and supplies to work with. Plus, most of her experience came from younger vampires, who weren't smart enough to cover their tracks.

She figured that the necklace was a family heirloom and if that were true, Katherine or 'Katerina' would be 391 years old.

After finding the heirloom, the huntress had been more careful around her house guest, as to not break suspicion that Valerie knew what she was. She always kept her heartbeat steady and a mask over her face to cover the disgust she felt for being nice to a demon.

Currently, Valerie was in the kitchen chopping up pumpkin for her home-made pumpkin pie recipe she used. Apparently tonight was some special occasion, according to Giuseppe. But that was just what he had been saying every night since Katerina came so she would make a special dish to impress the guest.

Valerie wasn't focusing on her cooking as she stared through the window with hard eyes, watching as the thing they called a lady ran around the yard being chased by the brothers. Yes, as in brothers, plural. Since the vampire came, Giuseppe had requested for Damon to take a break and come home for a while. She was beyond happy when she heard the news but since he had been back, they had barely spoken, it was only a few words and brief catchups before Katherine would come into the room and all his attention went to her.

There was a sting in her finger, and she winced. Looking down she saw a trickle of blood running down her hand. She cursed internally, bringing her finger to her mouth to stop to blood flow. Her eyes briefly flickered up to the window again, only to see two pairs of eyes staring right at her.