Two: The mind is a fickle thing

Az stood before Rhys's desk; hands clasped behind his back. His shadows curled and danced agitatedly over his shoulders and around his wings. Cassian glanced at him from where he was perched at the edge of one of the lavish chairs, likely noting Azriel's ridged posture. How the whites of his knuckles showed where he clenched his shadow-covered fists. Az really didn't want to give this report. Not now. Not when everyone was at such peace. Not when his niece and nephew slept soundly just a floor above, utterly unaware of the dangers of the world.

"Alright Az. What's really going on down south?" Rhys seemed to have noticed his reluctance. Azriel just took a slow breath, then began.

"The rumours my spies reported a few months ago are true. Most of the population of the Spring court has fled into Summer, along with a small number of mortals who dwell in the towns along the border with their lands. The few I was able to speak to said that they hadn't seen their high lord in over a year, in either beast or fae form-"

"Shit!" Cassian spat. They'd been trying to keep an eye on Tamlin since the war ended, but he'd grown increasingly reclusive, spending more time in his beast form and allowing his lands to deteriorate.

"Indeed," Az continued with a dry look at his brother.

"But why now?" Rhys asked, scratching his jaw absently. "Why flee Spring now? That court's been falling into the gutter for years. What's changed?"

"That's the other thing I found out." Azriel swallowed. "A few Spring court residents mentioned a strange, dark power. What they described matched up with what my spies reported. They said the air whispered to them."

"Whispered what?" Rhys pushed, eyes alert.

"They didn't say."

"I think we can assume it wasn't bedtime stories," Balthazar cut in from where he stood near the door. The male's scarred face was blank, but Azriel could see his mind working behind his hazel eyes.

Rhys slumped into his seat, running a hand through his blue-black hair. Az knew they were thinking the same thing.

"We need to get some spies in there. Find Tamlin and investigate these whispers further. I don't like surprises when it comes to that court." They all agreed.

"I could leave first thing-"

"No, Az. You need a day or two to rest. You look asleep on your feet."

"But-"

"And," Rhys continued with a pointed look, "you did promise Nyx you would take him flying in the morning." Az just nodded in resignation, but couldn't shake the feeling that something big was happening, and that every minute they wasted was sending them on the road to a disaster.

"Oh don't look so put out Az. You'll have your chance to show off in front of your recruits again soon enough," Cassian teased. Azriel just rolled his eyes, really not in the mood.

"Alright. You can leave morning after tomorrow. Take backup, but only a few," Rhys instructed, "Tamlin may still be on the prowl and we don't want to be detected. Get as much information as you can, but don't reveal yourself or engage if you can avoid it."

"Yes high lord." Azriel nodded. They continued to discuss the finer details, planning for as many dangerous scenarios as possible before Rhys finally turned to his brother.

"Cass, I want a squad of Illyrians ready to respond as soon as possible, just in case."

"Yes high lord." Cassian looked to Balthazar. "Can you head to Windhaven in the morning and tell Devlon to get them ready."

"Yes General." Balthazar saluted.

"That'll never stop being weird," Cassian muttered, smirking at his second. Az knew that very few Illyrians outside this room had ever treated his brother with respect or deference, despite his rank in Rhys's inner circle. Cassian's bastard-born status would always taint him in the eyes of their race.