Eighteen: The Truth Hurts... Differently

Azriel landed on the front lawn of the River house, releasing Gwyn's and Feyre's hands before launching into the sky once again.

"Az wait-" Rhysand's pleading call was swallowed up by the wind and the silence in his mind. Such silence after the roaring of his memories. Half-formed thoughts bounced around his head, but Az couldn't think past the quiet. The rage and betrayal burning in his heart.

He eventually decided that flying wasn't fast enough and winnowed to a point above the House of Wind. His shadows confirmed what he'd guessed. Ellius was pacing just inside the dining room doors. Az landed heavily on the balcony and stormed in. The male's eyes went wide with fear as the door swung around to strike the stone wall, a loud crack resounding through the room. Blue eyes, his mind whispered. Blue, not green. The anger told him that it didn't matter.

"You have a lot of nerve coming back here," he said, letting venom creep into his voice.

"Azriel, please let me expla-"

"NO! You do not get to explain!" Az roared. He did not register the dramatic shift in Ellius's scent. The true fear that coated the air. Did not realise that his shadows were creeping out, filling the room ominously. He was too overcome with... with... whatever he was feeling.

"You do not get to explain! We welcomed you here. I- we let you in. Rhys took your advice!"

"I know-"

"And you turned on us! The first opportunity you got, you turned on us! You hurt Gwyn-"

"Is she alright?" A different kind of alarm crossed the male's face.

"She'll live, though I don't know why you'd care. You are the one that tried to stab her!"

"Azriel! Please just-"

"You betrayed us!" Azriel could barely think. "We trusted you. I trusted you!" The last words cracked, and Azriel realised it was his heart that was hurting. The only other person like him, the first person that might've come close to understanding had-

"Listen! I didn't have a choice!" Ellius yelled, hurt and something else flaring on his face. Az blinked, taken aback by the verbal retaliation. The male before him ploughed on, holding his gaze, his own shadows swirling and lashing at the air.

"I didn't have a choice. I... he was controlling me. I couldn't..." Ellius's breathing grew heavier and heavier, as if he was in pain.

"What the hell happened?" Azriel asked, voice going deadly quiet. He knew he wasn't being reasonable. He knew he should listen, should give the male a chance, but Ellius's betrayal... he'd lied. He'd lied and that lie could have gotten them all killed.

"I can't say it," Ellius hissed through clenched teeth. Azriel's anger flared anew.

"Well, you'd better bloody well say something or-"

"No, Az. I physically cannot say it. he won't let me."

"Who's he?" He refused to swallow any more lies.

"Tam- aaaah!" Ellius's head snapped back violently, as if he'd been struck, and the male's knees gave out.

"Shit, Ellius," Anger momentarily forgotten, Azriel dropped to the floor, "what's wrong? What's going on?" This was just like the living room at the River house. Headache. My shadows can inflict pain on me from within. Ellius's words from a week ago resurfaced. Sometimes they're too strong for me. And just now, Tam...

"Tamlin!" Azriel exclaimed. Of course!  They'd first met in the Spring court. "What has the bastard done? Ellius, what did he do to you?"

The Shadowsinger just groaned, hands clawing at his head.