Eleven: It Rattled a Star

*** ToG fans, did you get my little reference there? :P***

Nyx seemed more subdued than usual. The boy clung to Azriel's leathers as they flew to the training area, his head tucked against the spymaster's chest, the wind staining his small cheeks pink.

"What's up kiddo?"

"Nothing," Nyx hedged, tucking his head down even further.

"Nyx, you are a terrible liar," Az pushed, giving the boy a squeeze. He angled into a smooth glide down to the clearing, dodging the tall rock jutting up from it like a crooked finger.

"I'm worried about Dad," Nyx confessed suddenly, looking Azriel full in the face, "And you, and Cass. I may be small, but I still hear you talking and something bad is happening. Mum doesn't want me to see, but she's scared too."

Azriel sighed, landing in the soft grass and setting Nyx down. He considered for a moment, then crouched before the boy. Az knew they couldn't avoid the questions anymore, and he didn't want Nyx trying to draw his own conclusions.

"It's okay to be worried," Az said softly. He felt, rather than saw Ellius move up behind him. "I'm worried too, Nyx. There are a lot of things going on that we don't understand. But your mum, dad, Cass and I are all trying to find answers." Nyx nodded slightly, then looked to Ellius.

"Are you helping too?" the boy asked hopefully. "Are you going to help fix it as well?"

A wave of conflicting emotions washed across Ellius's face, guilt, shame, fear, anger. Az watched the silent battle. Watched as that war of emotion turned to a solid resolve. The male crouched beside Azriel, looking at Nyx with a small smile.

"I am," he said calmly, "I swear to you, that I will do everything I can to help." Ellius glanced at Azriel, as if the words weren't meant just for the boy. A promise. "And if you ever need my help, Nyx, I'll be there."

Azriel's nephew grinned widely at Ellius, who stood, ruffling a hand through the boy's dark hair.

"That tickles!" Nyx giggled, trying to swat the insubstantial hand away. Azriel met Ellius's blue gaze, that glint of quiet determination still shining there, and nodded. The male's eyes sparked, and a tentative smile tugged at his lips again.

"Are we going to fly now?" Nyx asked impatiently. "Why are you just staring at each other?" He walked between them, looking up in confusion.

Ellius just raised his eyebrows in a way that had Azriel's blood heating. Cut it out, he ordered himself, although his shadows were dancing and swirling innocently toward the male. Az yanked them back, put his emotions on a very tight leash, and turned toward the rock.

"Alright Nyx. Time to fly."

Over the next hour, Azriel debated the wisdom of inviting Ellius along. The male was perched at the edge of the tall rock, helping him survey Nyx's take off. Ellius had his wings out, spread lazily behind him across the stone as he leant back on his hands. He was distracting. One of those grins bloomed Ellius's his face as Nyx took a running leap past him, the child whooping loudly as he launched into the air.

"Come on!" Az encouraged, jogging backwards. Nyx flapped his wings tentatively, propelling himself after his Uncle. "Yes Nyx! Further! Just a bit further!" The boy gritted his teeth, pumping those wings harder, straining with all his might to keep his small form in the air. He finally reached Azriel's outstretched arm, panting heavily and grinning from ear to ear.

"Woohoo!" Ellius yelled from the rock, pumping a fist into the air. Azriel couldn't help but smile at the matching expressions of glee on the others' faces. This. The thought crept into Az's mind as he surveyed Nyx and Ellius. Just... this.