Twenty-seven: Fear does not own me

***TW: I would like to warn you that this chapter makes brief, but rather obvious mention to SA, and also contains descriptions of blood/gore + characters in significant distress. Please read with caution. - R&R21***

Ellius fought with everything he had left to keep the massive Serebor at bay. Gwyn, Emerie, and Favian, who they'd encountered as they sprinted for the study, disappeared around the corner at his back. Good, now they can get the books to velaris and stop all this once and for all. The hope, the knowledge that they'd be safe, fuelled Ellius' shadows as he bolstered the wall that held the green flames back.

'I'm right behind you,' he'd said. Truthfully, he was ready to stand on this spot for as long as it took them to get out of the mansion, even if that meant... The edges of Ellius' shield suddenly started to fray. He gasped, bracing his feet, and pouring every scrap of energy he could muster into the defence. Why am tiring so quickly? A few tendrils of fire crept through the swirling shadows. Ellius patched the holes as best he could, but his shadows must've felt his growing fatigue. His weakness.

"You won't hold here much longer.", they hissed. The green flames writhed and twisted in Ellius' vision, and it was as if his traitorous shadows egged them on.

"You've fooled yourself into thinking you're strong, boy."

"We feel your heart. It's torn, isn't it?"

"Why would you stand here to die for them when the spymaster turned on you so quickly?"

"They're not worth it."

"He's not worth it."

"Shut up. Shut up. Shut up!", Ellius cried. The shadows were slipping further and further from his command, and the more they slipped, the more the Serebor's power overtook his mind, filling his ears with the past.

Gap after gap appeared in the shield as Ellius spiralled. I can't do this. I can't do this. I can't- The sound of boots thudding, someone running, broke through the maelstrom of noise, and he knew. Somehow, Ellius knew who it was.

Azriel's scent, night-chilled mist and cedar, hit him then, and it was that moment of emotional realisation that was nearly his undoing. Ellius felt his shield give way entirely. He stumbled to the floor, covering his head as the flames lashed toward him for a final blow... that never came.

He glanced up to see a new, dark shield curving over his head, then turned to find Azriel's hazel eyes on him. Ellius nearly sobbed with exhausted relief. Azriel had come for him.

"We need to move.", Az said, beckoning wildly with the hand that wasn't directing his shadows at the Serebor. Too many raw emotions filled the male's eyes for Ellius to track in that moment, so he just rose on shaky legs and stumbled toward the spymaster.

"Are you hurt?", Azriel asked, looking Ellius up and down, his voice low and concerned.

"No, I'm fine, but Conroy-"

"I know.", the male interjected, his throat bobbing. "I know. Let's move."

They both backed up to the corner and, with a nod and final, hopefully disorienting blast of power from Azriel, they ran. Ellius was alarmed to realise his companion was panting. The pair of them reached the end of the hall, sprinting for freedom, only to be greeted by chaos.

"Shit!", Azriel spat, glancing once at Ellius before leaping into the air. Two smaller Serebors, one of which had likely been the one to attack Emerie outside the library, darted and slithered through the air. Gwyn stood at the base of the stairs, attempting to fend off the creatures as they aimed again and again for Cassian and Emerie's unconscious forms. The latter must've finally buckled under the strain of the mental attack she'd endured.