Twenty-two: Stunning in Starlight

"No, no, no! That'll clash with your eyes!"

"You said that about the first and third shirts we tried," Ellius chuckled, handing the teal garment back to Gwyn. Upon his request for assistance over breakfast, the vivacious female had practically dragged him into the city on a shopping spree. Everyone else had apparently already purchased their evening attire, so Gwyn had made it her mission for the day to find him the perfect outfit for Starfall.

"What about this?" He asked, holding up a deep red shirt with an open collar and tiny gold buttons. He knew she'd say no, as he didn't much like it himself, but he was having way too much fun messing with her.

"Are you serious?!" She squeaked, snatching the shirt away. "You can't wear red! Cassian's wearing red this year!" Ellius sighed, plopping down on a bench beside the rack of shirts. He scanned the shop, the third one they'd visited that morning, until his eyes caught on a flash of silver among a line of jackets. He strode over and pulled the garment out of the shadow of the others. An elegantly fitted, though simple, black jacket with slender sleeves and an upright collar, it wouldn't have been much to look at were it not for the embroidery. Ellius traced the lines of silver and blue thread with a finger. The design swirled and coiled around the collar and down the lapels of the jacket, interspersed with miniscule, glittering beads. The same thread adorned the cuffs, snaking up the outside of the wrists like twisting, starlit ivy.

He pulled it off the hanger and slid his arms into the sleeves. The inside was lined with black silk that felt cool against his skin. Ellius settled the jacket across his shoulders and was pleased to find it a perfect fit.

"What about... oh Smoky," Gwyn's jaw dropped, and he blushed, "that looks incredible."

"Thanks," he replied, grinning sheepishly. He smoothed the front of the jacket once before a horrible thought crossed his mind. Ellius slipped it off and checked the price tag, his heart sinking. He'd had a tiny money bag with him when he left the spring court, the pouch now tucked securely in his pocket, but he had nowhere near enough to pay for this.

"I love it," he said, forcing a smile, "but I think it's a little out of my budget."

"Budget? Smoky, I'm buying it! My Starfall gift to you."

"Oh, no I couldn't possibly let-"

"Well, isn't it good that you don't have a choice!" Gwyn said sharply, though a small smile graced her face.

Ten minutes later they left the shop with the jacket, a pair of simple black pants, a shirt in the palest shade of blue Ellius had ever seen, and a new pair of boots he'd insisted on paying for. As it was almost lunch time and they had hours before the celebrations, he and Gwyn decided to find some lunch in the city. They meandered down one of the smaller streets, bags in hand, toward the Valkyrie's favourite café. As Gwyn directed Ellius around a corner into a large, sunlit courtyard bordered on one side by the Sidra, a strangely familiar scent tickled his nostrils. The same one he'd noticed at the River house, he realised, on the day Rhysand returned from the Day Court. Ellius' steps faltered, the scent triggering something inside him. Not really a memory, just a feeling of wrongness. As if there was something out of place. Something he should avoid.

"What's wrong?" Gwyn asked, pausing beside him.

"I don't know. There's this scent. It doesn't feel... right."

"What kind of scent?"

"It's sort of sweet. Sickly sweet. Like... dying flowers, maybe."

He and Gwyn scanned the courtyard, observing each passer-by, then moving their gazes to the surrounding shops. A bakery, a shop for fishing supplies, a small apothecary, the café they'd been heading to and...