03_bitcoin

the car ride was quiet. beomgyu unknowingly drifted off to sleep in the backseat. meanwhile, yeonjun drove slowly to lana del ray's song playing softly in the background to accompany him.

he was thinking what he got himself into. he could literally just leave this guy out in the streets, steal his credit card info and call it a day. but something tells him he shouldn't do that. is it conscience? no way that after all these petty robberies yeonjun's moral compass is restored.

sudden muffling from the backseat disrupted his thought process. the younger one seemed to be coming back to consciousness. yeonjun watched through the front mirror how beomgyu's long black hair cupped his face as he sat up. his eyes were still drowsy, eye-bags prominent.

"i'm still alive?" beomgyu mumbled.

"can you stop with those jokes? i have no interest in killing you," sighed yeonjun.

"i just find it weird that you're actually following my plan."

"i find you weird. am i not supposed to do that?"

"aren't you like a criminal? doing rebellious things and not following the rules?"

yeonjun rolled his eyes at that, "i do what i want, so call that however you like."

"hm... i wish i could do that," sighed beomgyu looking down, falling into thought.

the car was silent for a moment. yeonjun could not find any words to say until beomgyu spoke up again.

"tell me more about yourself. are you like in a gang or something? a gang that robs vending machines?" joked beomgyu.

"i don't think there's one like that." chuckled yeonjun.

"then?"

"this is private information i cannot disclose."

"oh come on!" whined the younger, "it's not like i'm gonna tell anyone."

yeonjun stole another glance at beomgyu through the front mirror. he noticed the younger slightly pouting and that got him to give in.

"it's complicated. i've been in lots of groups and gangs but ended up leaving because they were not my thing," explained yeonjun, "some were doing shit that was too scary, others i did not get along with."

"why don't you just get a legal job then?" wondered beomgyu genuinely.

"as you can tell, i'm probably not the most rightful person," yeonjun bit his lip, "and i admit that i wanted an easy way to make money."

"how much easier is it though?"

"i'm not sure now," paused yeonjun, "but once you get too deep into it, it's difficult to come back."

beomgyu nodded, still not fully understanding, "are you in a gang right now?"

"yeah, but i haven't received any tasks lately and lost all my earnings through bitcoin so that's why i was having a tough time with food."

beomgyu bursted into laughter, "bitcoin?!" he was crying-laughing now, "that's so funny, i'm sorry."

"hey! the stocks dropping is no joke."

"yeah... damn... those stocks do be dropping..."

"you don't have the slightest idea of what i'm talking about, do you?"

"yep!" proudly announced beomgyu.

"i knew it," sighed yeonjun, "what about you though? do your parents seriously not care if you get kidnapped?"

beomgyu's laugh slowly faded, "well, they're too busy with their jobs. they run multiple companies. besides they have three other sons. one more, one less... they wouldn't notice if i'm gone for a couple of days."

"that's sad."

"yeah, i'm not gonna project my mommy and daddy issues on you though, so let's maybe stop to eat?" offered the younger, "you've been driving for a while now."

"you're paying."

"obviously."