09_strawberries

beomgyu's lashes fluttered open, still heavy with sleep. the monotone rumbling of the engine indicated he was in a car— an unfamiliar one— sprawled across the backseat. not the first time, he thinks, i should get used to this.

he found yeonjun sitting upfront, looking rather tense. beomgyu watched him with half-lidded eyes, silently observing the man's side-profile.

the view was cinematic for no particular reason. yeonjun's cheekbones caught light with every passing streetlight, highlighting his features in muted hues of marigold. warm colors nuzzled against the soft slope of his nose, providing an icy contrast to the piercing slits in his eyes.

he was talking with someone at the wheel, probably the cashier from earlier. beomgyu didn't expect them to know each other, but then again, he didn't expect anything that happened that night. he remembers the scary man, the cashier trying to help, the gun pointed at yeonjun. beomgyu's limbs were still aching from being grabbed and thrown, which only reminded him that the ruckus wasn't a fever dream.

his heart started accelerating against his will, as it usually does these days. yeonjun could've died. him too. but why are his hands shaking now? it's all in the past, yet he's still a trembling mess in a car that's miles away from the incident. he absolutely can't have another panic attack. not again.

luckily, yeonjun's velvety voice, low and hushed so as to not wake beomgyu up, was enough of a distraction. beomgyu focused on it instead, feeling himself relax.

"i don't know, taehyun-ah. It's like i lost control after I threw that punch," yeonjun said, his tone uncharacteristically serious.

"what do you mean 'lost control'?" the other man whispered-yelled. the stiffening air caught up to beomgyu then, so he decided it's best to lay low. though, he couldn't exactly turn off his ears, which certainly weren't meant for this conversation.

"hyung, be honest with me. you haven't been taking the meds?"

beomgyu's heart dropped. he didn't know what he expected, of course yeonjun was on medication. who wouldn't be in his position? beomgyu would probably be in a loony bin by now if men with guns hunted his ass for a living, so yeonjun was much stronger than him in that aspect. still, beomgyu worried.

"i forgot," yeonjun admitted guiltily, turning away to face the window.

it was silent for a moment, and beomgyu thought he could feel the tension with his hands if he tried. a heavy sigh then escaped taehyun's lips, telling beomgyu he was rather disappointed.

"hyung, you can't just forget. this is about your health—"

"i know. i'll start again, i promise."

"please do," reprimanded taehyun, and beomgyu felt his body being pulled to the other side of the car as they took a turn into some kind of underground parking lot. he knew he should be scared, letting these almost strangers drive him around, but after all that he's been through this was the least threatening situation to be in.

"can't have a psychopath in my house," taehyun snorted shortly, and beomgyu bit his lip. maybe he should still keep up his guard.

yeonjun finally looked at the other man, shooting daggers with his eyes. "thanks."

"anytime. and what about him?"

beomgyu tensed, feeling the spotlight of the conversation switch to no one other than himself.

"what about him?" yeonjun countered calmly, fiddling with the ring on his forefinger. it was a simple silver band with something engraved on it. beomgyu always wanted to ask what it was.