06_sparks

"you're fucking crazy, choi beomgyu," panted yeonjun as he smiled against him.

"this was your idea, dumbass," retorted the other, chuckling at the lunacy of it all.

a few hours prior

the walk to the train station was anything but pleasant. beomgyu, not being used to the woods, walked straight into two spider webs, and stepped into what smelled like animal dung with his precious white jordans. they also went the wrong way at first, thanks to yeonjun's brilliant skills of direction.

"i fricking hate this!" whined beomgyu, clearly dissatisfied.

"stop being a brat, we're almost there,"

"you said that two hours ago!"

this time, yeonjun was right though. beomgyu swore he almost cried seeing the platform uncover from the trees. what later made him cry again however, was that this was a cargo train station.

"what? did you expect to ride in luxury all your life?"  yeonjun retorted, looking back at the boy who stopped in his steps.

"i just thought... this would be a passenger train..." beomgyu sighed in defeat.

"gotta spice it up a little bit, y'know?" yeonjun winked, walking up next to him and putting his hand over the other's shoulder to guide them further while the other sulked, too disheartened to notice.

his eye suddenly twitched, "it's already spicy enough for me."

yeonjun raised his eyebrows at him, "oh? are you implying that i'm spicy?"

"what? that's a completely different sentence!" beomgyu raised his voice defensively, noticing his arm and trying to escape.

"shhh... stay quiet," yeonjun brought his index finger to his lips while positioning his good hand over beomgyu's mouth from behind. he ducked them both behind a random storage box as some workers passed by, "we can't let them see us."

"great. how are we gonna make it to the train then?" beomgyu replied, whisking his palm away.

"we could hide in one of these boxes," reasoned yeonjun.

"and suffocate to death? tempting, but no thanks," beomgyu said flatly, "any other ideas?"

"we could... beat up these guys and take their uniform, pretend to be them, and get on the train?"

"you know, you're really being a red flag right now."

"joke. i was joking," yeonjun's head fell.

"how about we just sprint to an open wagon right before the train leaves? they usually have the empty ones at the end."

"that's..." yeonjun furrowed his eyebrows before looking up at him in surprise, "actually a good idea!"

beomgyu rolled his eyes at him, "of course it is, don't think i'm dumb."

"i never did," smiled yeonjun, ever so sweetly.

meanwhile, the robot lady from the speakers announced five minutes before the initial train departs. both boys took this as a queue to poorly maneuver through towers of trunks and cargo boxes, and eventually jump on the railway and dash towards the end of the train. beomgyu was sure that at least two workers saw them, but were too tired and overworked to give a damn.

beomgyu's weekly badminton practice could have never prepared him for the amount of exercise this scheme required. running alone was exhausting, but having to use his muscle strength, which he did not have, to pull himself up on the wagon was even more excruciating.