9/11

Hey guys, if you didn't know, today is the 20th anniversary of 9/11. In honor of 9/11, I wrote a newsies au! This has literally nothing to do with the book, but this'll replace this weeks chap.

Much of these plots are based on real stories. I'll put links to the news report and I'll make another chap for the real stories.

I hope you guys enjoy!

6:40 AM EDT

"Today's my off day!" Davey grinned, leaning back on the coach.

"Mhm..." Jack kissed Davey's cheek, snuggling into the taller boy's side.

Suddenly, Jack's phone rang, making the twenty-five year old groan.

"Hello?" Jack huffed. "Race what do you-"

"I need a pep talk Jackie." Race stood in front of a mirror, fixing his bright yellow tie.

"For what?" Jack squeezed his eyebrows up in confusion.

"For the business meeting I've been talking about for weeks?" Race snapped. "You know, the one that if it goes right will pay for all the materials we need in the lab?"

"....oh...right." Jack blinked, still not remembering.

The twenty-three-year-old let out a long sign, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Just put Dave on the line."

"Why didn't you call him then!" Jack whined.

"Jack!" Race hissed. "I don't have time for your b*llsh*t!"

"Alright, alright!" Jack rolled his eyes. "There, you're on speaker."

"Hi Race!" Davey smiled down at the phone, even if the boy on the other line couldn't see.

"Dave- I'm real nervous. What if I mess up?"

"You won't, I promise." Davey reassured.

"What?" Jack frowned. "When did Davey take over the role of big brother?"

"It's not my fault you weren't helping!" Race's voice raised in frustration.

"I was trying!" Jack crossed his arms.

"No you weren't." Race's face contorted into one of a wounded puppy. "Jack, this is such a big meeting for me! I just- I hoped you would care enough to take it seriously..."

Jack stayed silent, not a single sound leaving his mouth.

"...I'll see you guys later then. After work? With Albie and Charlie?"

"Yeah, see you Race." Davey held the phone up, about to end the call. "Good luck."

Race sighed, wiping the tears that threatened to fall from his eyes.

"I ruin everything, don't I?" Jack buried his face into his hands.

"I'm sure Race'll understand you just wanted a break." Davey rubbed Jack's back comfortingly. "You'll make it up to him, maybe spend some bonding time this weekend."

"That's so far away!" Jack whined.

"I know." Davey cracked a grin. "Katherine says her students are more tired on a Tuesday than a Monday."

>>>||<<<

8:45 AM EDT

"You're such a scaredy-cat!" Jack teased lovingly.

"Shut up!" Davey flushed bright red, still hiding his face in the pillows as the movie continued.

"Don't be embarrassed." Jack beamed. "I think it's cute."