Hearts of Olden Glory

The next 3 years of Anna's life passed by in a number of covert missions, spending days and days alone in her room until she was needed for a mission or for her healing abilities when things went wrong, beatings when she's was non compliant and tests and experiments on her powers.

Anna had traded her freedom for a life long service to Hydra. She had tried countless times to escape. She desperately tried at every opportunity to make a run for it. Anna received a heavy beating every time to remind her of her place and to force her into submission to comply with their orders. Anna now sported two bronze bangles on her wrists. To anyone looking they just looked like costume jewellery but they were magic inhibitors. Anna was unable to use any powers unless they were being controlled by Hydra. They were keeping her on an extremely short leash.

Anna was alone in her room like always. Her room was small and dark. She had a bed, wardrobe, desk and bookshelf crammed with books. Pierce had insisted on Anna being allowed all the books she could devour in an attempt to keep her happy and complacent. She also had an acoustic guitar and access to Spotify. All to try and keep her quiet. Anna spent most of her alone time either reading, playing guitar or listening to music. Music was Anna's escape. It helped her cope with life.

Anna sat alone with her back to her door playing guitar and singing softly not noticing someone standing in her doorway.

There's a vision coming soon
Through the faith
That cleans your wound
Hearts of olden glory
Will be renewed
Down the lens
Where the headlands stand
I feel a healing
Through this land
A cross for a people
Like wind through your hands
There must be a place
Under the sun
Where hearts of olden glory
Grow young

"Suit up Ghost, it's show time!" A man in Hydra combat uniform called to her.

Anna cringed at her code name. It was dreamed up by Rumlow in an attempt to take away her humanity. If she had no real name then she wouldn't be a real person and more likely to comply with Hydra's wishes.

"Sure thing soldier" Anna sighed and gave a mocking salute to her fellow agent.

Anna threw on her black Hydra gear. It consisted of a black long sleeved top, black combat trousers and boots. Anna tide her long hair into a messy bun and made her way to the briefing room.

As per usual Anna was the last to take her seat. The room was crammed with agents. Pierce and Rumlow stood at the front of the room infront of a projector screen.

"Ah, Ghost so nice of you to take time out of your busy schedule to join us." Rumlow teased.

Anna glared at him and stuck out her tongue in childish defiance as she sunk into her chair.

"Today's mission is possibly our most risky to-date but the pay off will be well worth it." Pierce addressed the room.

Slides showed on the projector screen behind the two men. Anna noticed straight away what it was. Written in bold over the blue prints on the screen was STARK INDUSTRIES. Anna's eyes widened in shock and disbelief. The blue prints were of a new prototype arc reactor.

"We have reason to believe this will provide Hydra all the power it needs to fuel our new portal technology." Pierce pointed towards the blue prints on screen. "It is being guarded in Stark's lab at the Avenger compound. Ghost this is where you come in..."

Before Pierce could continue to tell his plan Anna burst into fits of laughter enraging Pierce.

"And what pray tell is so amusing to you my dear?" Pierce growled.

" I see where this is going" Anna snorted. "You think I can just teleport in grab it and then pop back out again just like that!" Anna giggled making jazz hand gestures.

"I don't think. I know" Pierce said in a low menacing tone. "Because if you fail dear Ghost, it'll be the last thing you ever do!" Pierce shouted causing Anna to grasp the seriousness of the situation. Pierce rarely raised his voice. When he did Anna knew better than to talk back or give any sass. It was a lesson she had unfortunately learned the hard way.

"Alpha team you will travel with Ghost and be ready for immediate extraction. Bravo team you will provide back up incase things go south. Which I'm sure they won't" Pierce glared directly at Anna as he said this. "We depart at 2200 hours. Hail Hydra. Dismissed!" Pierce barked to the room.

Anna remained slumped in her chair. "Shit... stealing from Stark, from the Avengers!! I'm fucked either way" Anna though to herself. "There's no coming back from this."