Chapter 7: You're Not Joking

I know it's not Monday but I am just so excited about this book that I want you guys to share my excitement. What better way to share this excitement then releasing chapters as often as I can?

Look out for the <>

DarlaH

Stella POV

"So homecoming is coming up in three weeks. Are you planning to come?" Alice asked with a smile as she wiggled her eyebrows at me in front of the school building.

I shrugged as I stuffed my hands in my loose fitting jeans as I tried to play it cool. "School dances aren't really my thing," I said, but instantly regretted saying that when I saw the look of disappointment on her face. "But I'm willing to try," I quickly added, as if that would save me.

Alice beamed, then wrapped her arms around me with a cheer. "We should go to dress shopping together. Gosh it would be so much fun."

"Sure," I said, knowing full well what I was getting myself into. There was a reason I never went to these, but being in a large school, no one cared if I didn't go. Here, everyone would care so I would go or at least everyone to know if I didn't go and I couldn't let that happen.

"Great! Let's do that next weekend!"

"Sounds good. Anyhow, I have a test to study for so I'll talk to you later," I said, then waved her off so I could have some peace and quiet as I tried to wrap my mind around what I just agreed to do.

"Are you sure you don't want a ride?"

I shook my head as I looked at the bike standing alone at the bike rack just to the right of us. Instead of asking dad for a ride this morning, I took this to get to school. I am not sure what came over me to decide this, but maybe it was the fact that dad looked so excited that I was doing so. "I have to ride this back."

"I have a bike rack we can stick it on."

Of course she did. "Nah, thanks for the offer, but I think I should try to get some exercise since my dad wants to take me out. I'm not nearly as fit as he is," I said with a chuckle, using that as an excuse when I knew he would never take me. He was always too busy, and it would remain the same until I left. But she didn't know that so that meant it was a perfect excuse.

"I understand! Say no more. I will talk to you later!" she said, then walked to her car without another word.

I breathed a sigh of relief as she walked away from me. Normally she was ok to deal with, but today there was something she said that rubbed me the wrong way. When I asked about Gray not being in school for the second day in a row, she shrugged her shoulders and said, 'good riddance'.

Her words had such spite in them, as if he had wronged her. But I knew that Grayson had done nothing to her or her friends. He said nothing and was completely alone most times. How could she be ok with wishing ill on someone that was not causing any damage to her? Yes, people said he was a killer, but how could they believe it when he wasn't in prison. As difficult as Grayson was, he didn't deserve the hate he received.

I got on my bike and peddled back home as Grayson stuck in my mind like gum at the bottom of a shoe. How could a whole school hate someone so much like they did Grayson? It couldn't be solely because he was an outsider, because I was an outsider myself and they loved me.

My thoughts came to a crashing halt when I spotted Grayson in a gray sweater wading through waist deep grass. There was a scowl on his face, which made me believe he dropped something and was trying to find it. I watched him for a minute in silence, as he was completely unaware of me watching. He swore lightly, then threw a rock in frustration.