Chapter 8: That's Cold

Gray's POV

I looked at the clock on my table and frowned. Else should have been here by now and since she wasn't, it was causing me to worry. She was supposed to be going to Jackson for a simple homework run, but maybe she got into trouble.

"Here you go," Else said as she opened my small dorm room and tossed my stack of homework onto my bed.

"You took longer this time than normal," I said. A scowl was apparent on her face as she pulled her hair up into an updo. Else was very punctual, so the fact that she was an hour late was unusual. It made me wonder what she ran into in Jackson.

"Got caught up at school."

"With what?" I asked, pulling for more information.

She frowned in silence as she eyed me.

If she would not tell me, I could only guess what happened. "It was Stella, wasn't it?"

"No," she said a little too quickly.

"You are lying. What did you say to her? Did you give her my letter?" I asked.

The idea that Stella might have read my letter set me ablaze with excitement. I wanted to know exactly what happened, so for a moment I could live vicariously through Else.

"Gray..."

"You didn't give her the letter, did you?" I frowned as I realized I got too excited too quickly. Of course, she would never give her that letter. "Do you even want to help me?"

"It's not like that."

I rolled my eyes. I heard that far too many times from her.

"Else, there you are. We need you to come with us. Graywick has moved closer to the castle. He is preparing to attack. We need you," Egrick said as he popped his head into my small dorm room.

For a second, I remembered the conversation I had with my father a few days before. I never had the chance to tell Else what he told me. Honestly, I probably wouldn't at this point. If she had secrets, I would have them too.

"I'm coming. Just give me a moment," she said to Egrick, then turned back to me.

But I didn't want another minute with her. "Go, Else."

"Gray, I don't want to be this person."

"Then don't. You don't have to. Hell, the royal family isn't around anymore to hold you back. But yet here you are, still lying to me."

She sighed, then shook her head. "Have you ever thought that it's in both of your best interests to stay away from each other?" Saying nothing more, she left, leaving me alone in the dorm room.

In the room's silence, I chucked the homework across the floor in anger. I swore louder than I had in a long time. Else was wrong. It's not like I wanted Stella to live here with me. I just wanted her to know that I still thought about her.

I stood up from the bed and paced the floor. The only thing I asked for was shot down. She would do all she could to keep me away from Stella. If she was going to be like that, maybe I should take actions into my own hands. Maybe I should find a way to get a note to Stella myself.

Anger pushed me out of my room across the school. Before I knew it, I was leaning against the door of the infirmary. For a moment, I watched Birch as she treated someone with a broken arm. She worked with such speed as if she had treated broken arms for a lifetime. She was so skilled and experienced. Sometimes I forgot she was the same age as me.

Birch told the person something, then laughed. She went to get supplies but, in the process, met eyes with me. I smiled at her and she returned the smile.