Chapter 33: Dangerous and Powerful Were Different

Stella's POV

 I woke up as I heard a screech fill the air. Franticly I looked around the room to see the Umbra Mortine looking out the window. There was an odd sense of peace when I saw it looking. For now, the Umbra Mortine meant safety from Graywick.

"They are here to fight our war," it said as it turned to face me. "They came."

"Have the Darklings started their attack?" I asked, as another cry echoed through the room. They sounded close.

It nodded. "I just called them in. Now it is our turn. We need to lead them. Put me in control. This will be quick and painless. I can stop Graywick."

As much as I hated him, I was more scared of the Umbra Mortine taking control. It took Graywick to break its hold over me. If Graywick wasn't around, then who would break the hold?

I couldn't let that happen.

"Stella, don't give me that face."

"I don't want to let you in again."

"But don't you like the power I gave you? Finally, you aren't weak. You could take on Graywick if you actually tried. I just need to take the lead on that attack."

"And after Graywick is dead, what about you?"

It smirked. "I think you know the answer to that."

I nodded at it. Yeah, I knew the answer. Once Graywick was gone, nothing would be around to stop it. It would have everything it wanted. I couldn't let that happen. Silently, with my free hand, I took the powdered root bag and stone from my pocket.

The stone shined in the light, as if encouraging me to continue. I knew the steps with this spell. Time couldn't be wasted. I couldn't wait. The Umbra Mortine would be stopped, and I would stop it now.

"Don't," it threatened.

"Or what will you do?"

"You know that will kill you too," the Umbra Mortine said as it walked closer to me.

The image of all those dead bodies from my dream popped back into my mind. I couldn't let that happen. No matter what the cost, I needed to stop it. "Maybe that is what we need to stop you."

"You are making a mistake."

The pain in my chest from yesterday still burnt slightly. No, waiting any longer would be the mistake. It had already grown too strong. I needed this to end.

Without thinking about it any further, I emptied the bag of powdered root into my mouth. The white chalky powder caused me to gag as it coated my mouth. It was bitter to the taste, but I choked it down, telling myself it wasn't as bad as it actually tasted.

"Say goodbye to this life," the Umbra Mortine said as it leaned against the wall. But its normally confident eyes were full of fear. It knew what could happen. We both knew what was at stake. Without saying another word, the Umbra Mortine faded into the shadows of the room.

I closed my eyes and wrapped my hands around the stone. Already I felt clammy and sick to my stomach. The root was already being observed in my body. I knew it. Quietly, I said the words that I read in the book associated with the stone.

I dry heaved as my eyelids became heavy. Already I could feel the root pulling me under. Fear consumed me as I realized what I did. What if this really did kill me? No one was here to help if this all went south. I tried my best to tell myself that there was no time to take it back, however it did little to help. The root was already eaten and now I just hoped that I could fight off the Umbra Mortine. However, I didn't know what I would face after sleep pulled me under.