Chapter 35: Shall We Go Back Home

Stella's POV

I wiped my bloody hands on my pants as we walked through the gate. My body still shook from what I had done and saw. As my eyes drifted to Gray, I wondered if he felt the same way. We both killed something today. He must feel even more emotions than I did. He gave the finishing blow to his father. The man that gave him life.

"Are you ok?" I whisper to him.

He silently nodded as he closed the gate behind him.

I nodded back at him as I looked around the entrance of the school. The war that was fought here still haunted my memories. Graywick killed so many during that fight. But Churchwell didn't have to worry any more. Graywick was dead, but also the Umbra Mortine. Two of the greatest threats Churchwell had been finished, all within minutes of each other.

The thought of not having the Umbra Mortine existing in my mind was freeing. After months, I could sleep soundly. The beast from my dreams was no more.

"It is done?" a woman's voice rang out.

My head snapped toward her voice and watched as she descended the staircase.

Her tall stature demanded attention. She stared at us as her dress trailed behind her.

"It is done. Graywick is dead and so is the Umbra Mortine. You can find my father's body in the castle. I can open a gate to get there."

The lady nodded as she placed her hand on Gray's shoulder. "Good. I will call some specialists to come retrieve it." She stared at me, making me feel uncomfortable. "Even though the Umbra Mortine is gone from your system, hints of its magic will remain with you. You are now just as much part of Churchwell as Gray."

As she said this, students filled the hall as they moved to their next class. They walked past us, paying little attention to the conversation we were having. If only they knew what had happened, they would stop and listen instead of move on.

The thought of having Umbra Mortine magic course through my veins did not set me at ease. That monster was pure evil. I didn't want that power reminding me of what damage it could have done.

"But what if I don't want it?" I asked.

She gave a small chuckle and shook her head. "That doesn't matter. It's just as much a part of you as your memories."

As the students slowly dispersed, the woman spoke up again. "Your father changed very little laws. I think he was waiting for dust to settle before continuing his path to change Churchwell. That being said, the laws is half-bloods lead the country. Since you and now Stella are the only two half-bloods in Churchwell, that means you two will lead the realm," the dean explained to us.

The thought of ruling Churchwell caused a frown to come to my face. I was not from this world. I was not capable of leading it. But with this news, I knew Gray would stay. Which meant I would go to Jackson alone. Maybe Alice was right. I should have forgotten about Gray a while ago. I knew he would pick this place over me. He had done it in the past, so I expected he would do it again.

"You will need guidance so I can help you pick some advisors."

"If I could say something," Gray spoke up, causing me to stare at him, waiting for what I knew he would say.

"Of course."

Gray looked at me. "What do you want to do now?" he asked me.

I shrugged at him. For now, I just wanted to go back to Jackson and recover in a place that was familiar to me. I didn't know if I would come back to Churchwell, but for now, I just wanted to go home and see my parents. "Honestly, I just want to finish high school in Jackson. Then we can figure out our next steps."