Chapter 30: Let's Get Her Back

Gray POV

I paced the floor of the entrance of the school as if that would help anything. Graywick just took Stella, even after we tried to fight him off. He was too smart, too quick. He had her before we even had a chance.

I could barely breathe at the thought that he had her. He knew exactly what he wanted from her. He just came in and took her so easily. "How did this even happen?" I muttered to myself.

Birch puckered her face as she pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket. "I think he wants the Umbra Mortine in her."

I took the piece of paper and read it over. It talked about the Umbra Mortine and how it held a lot of power. Whoever had the Umbra Mortine in their possession maintained a level of power that could bring civilizations to their knees.

"If your father wants to keep control, he wants this."

"How long have you held this information and not told me?" I asked, raising my voice as my frustration got the better of me.

"A day or two."

"So you are saying you knew this and kept it from me?" I asked as my voice rose.

Birch frowned at me. "We were already working to free Stella from the Umbra Mortine. You had a lot on your plate. I just thought keeping it from you would be the best option."

"But now he came and took her. She is gone and I could have at least had an idea that he would do this."

"It wouldn't have made a difference."

"You don't know that," I said as I pointed towards her.

"You're right, I don't, but Stella knew, and she decided not to tell you."

"She did?"

Birch nodded. "I told her as soon as I found out."

"So she knew my father wanted the Umbra Mortine in her."

"Yes. She did."

My face twisted up as if I ate something sour. I couldn't help but think things could have ended differently if I would have known my father would be after her.

"He's going to kill her," I whispered as I realized what my father would do after he got the Umbra Mortine. He didn't care if Stella was my everything. My father would do whatever he wanted to get ahead, even if that meant crushing the only thing that mattered to me.

"I know," Birch replied as she picked up a piece of ripped clothing then stuffed it in her pocket.

"We have to stop him."

"I know. Gosh, Gray, are you just going to state the obvious here?"

I stopped in mid-walk and glared at her. After admitting she kept things from me, I didn't like her attitude. "I don't like your sass."

"Then say something more than facts we already know."

"I'm going to get her."

"Well, that's another obvious fact, but it's better," Birch said as she adjusted her shoes. "If you are storming the castle, count me in."

I looked at her with concern. Birch was my best friend, she was my only friend here, but that didn't mean she needed to do this. I couldn't ask her to do that for me. It was too dangerous. "You don't need to come."

She placed her hand on my shoulder and sighed. "I know. But Stella means a lot to you, and you mean a lot to me. You are my best friend and because of that, I'm on board."

Instantly I forgave her for not telling me the information she knew. Birch was my only friend here, and she committed to sticking with me. I smiled at her and brought her into a hug. "You are amazing, Birch."