Chapter 16: Open The Door

Gray POV:

"Finish her off, Gray," Egrick commanded me as I held the bamboo pole over a combat specialist's head.

She looked up at me as she wiped her bloodied nose. There was fear in her eyes as she waited for my next move. But I wouldn't finish her off like Egrick wanted. I already knocked her to her feet. That should be enough.

"I'm not going to," I said as I placed the pole on the ground. "She is already down."

"Gray, we have been over this. Just because they are down doesn't mean they are done fighting," Egrick lectured.

"But this is just practice. I know that in real life. But I will not finish her off when I know this is just a game," I stated, raising my voice in frustration. With that, I turned on my heels and walked off the mat.

Egrick called after me in anger, but I refused to go back. I had been practicing all day, and I was finished. Practice is all I have done the last few days. That in sat in the meetings with Egrick. There were only talks, but I wanted action. As the days pasted, the more my father cemented his rule on the land.

Within the school, there had been minor changes, but outside the school grounds, I knew that there had been a lot of change. I heard about in the meetings how old supporters of the royal family went missing in the night or how curfew had been instated.

My father claimed to liberate Churchwell, but I only heard of heartache and pain. He was showing Churchwell he would rule with an iron first. But that did not surprise me. I expected the cruelty he would instate. What I didn't expect was the fact that he had not reached out again since that one time. I thought he would ask me to join him at least one more time, but that had not happened. Maybe he was done asking me to join when I would always say no. Or maybe he realized I was not as skilled as he wished I was.

I sighed as I looked out into the woods. The protection barrier lightly hummed, reminding me it was still in front of me. It was another reminder that they wanted all of us to stay here, under their control.

Absentmindedly, I touched the protection barrier and instantly my fingers bubbled as if they were burnt. With a hiss, I shook my hand out to ease the pain.

"There you are," Egrick's voice rang out from behind.

I turned to face him with a frown. I didn't think he would come get me so soon. He normally gave me space if I walked off.

"I thought they would remove the barrier now that my father is king."

Egrick shook his head with a sigh as he looked at the barrier. "That won't happen any time soon. I think they are using this as the once place Graywick cannot come in."

"Ah," I hummed.

"So, I just got word. There is a meeting about finding Else. Want to join?"

Since Else had been gone, I played more of an active role in plans to stop my father. Else said not to trust Egrick, but I had no reason not to trust him. He had brought me under his wing and given me everything I had begged Else for. Maybe it was better if she didn't come back.

"I think I have some training to catch up on," I stated, as I turned back to the forest line.

Egrick nodded as he looked out into the woods. "I understand." He gave one last sigh before turning on his heels and walking away, back to the school.

I scowled into the woods as conflicting feelings ate into me. Else raised me, but yet I didn't want her around. There was so much she held for me. There were things that she refused to let me be a part of, but Egrick didn't mind if I joined.