Chapter 39: Not A Killer

Gray's POV

"Gray, Gray... wake up," Else's voice rang out.

I opened my eyes in wide alert as I looked around myself. I was in the hall, bodies still laid around us. Instantly, I remembered what happened that got me here. Stella was gone. My father took her. He needed her for his self-destructive plan, and I had to find her before it was too late. Worry filled me as I stood up, feeling a deep ache within in my chest. I gave a cough as I tried to clear my lungs, but they felt congested.

"Where is Stella?"

I leaned on the wall for support as I sorted out my thoughts. "He took her."

Else frowned as she wiped her bloodied hands on her ripped dress pants. "Damn it."

A howl came from the hall and we both knew it was a Darkling calling for help. "They broke through the barricades, didn't they?"

Else nodded as her attention turned to a Darkling running towards us in the hall. She threw a knife at it as it closed the space between us. The Darkling crashed to the floor as Else threw another dagger at it to finish it off. The beast sank to the ground, giving one last howl before smoking, filling the air with a burning smell. "They just keep on coming. They are wearing down our forces."

<>

I frowned as I followed her back to the grand entrance hall. Bodies lay from students and Darklings. For now, the room was silent as the Darklings lay dying as their smoke filled the air. As I met the eyes of the students in the massive room, I saw they were all on edge. These students were never ready for battle. They were told that Churchwell was a peaceful place, so why would they need to be ready for this. They were lied to, just like I was.

"Else, get ready, a second wave is coming," Egrick said as he got his spear ready. He stood at the mouth of the door, looking out into the grounds, preparing for the next group of Darklings that came.

She nodded as she pulled a knife from her pocket.

As much as I wanted to stay here and defend the school, I couldn't. Stella was more important than anything else. I had to find her before I defended the school. "Else, I can't stay and fight. He said he was using her to get to the royal family. I have to find them."

Else sighed as if knowing this would happen. "I'll be right behind you as backup."

The thing was, I wasn't sure if I wanted her behind me as backup. I knew she would pick the royal family over any of us. Her devotion to them was unhealthy and scary. In a war, I wasn't sure if I could trust her with my back.

"Egrick, I will be back," Else said to him.

He nodded as howls grew louder in the distance. "Come back as soon as you can. We need everyone here."

"Any word on the protection spell working again?"

"A few professors are working on it, but you know as much as I do, the spell is complicated and requires a lot of power. Graywick did a good job of breaking the spell and dispersing all the magical artifacts for it. It might take hours before it's working again."

Else placed her hand on his shoulder and handed him a dagger. "I will be back as soon as I can." With that, she followed me out of the room and down the hall.

As much as I didn't want her to come, I had a feeling she knew some important details that I didn't. She might even know where they were. The castle was big, and I didn't want to waste any more time looking for them. "Do you know where he could have taken her?"

"My guess is the dean's office. That is where the Royal family is, discussing plans for war."

I didn't want to question why they were not down here fighting with all the rest of us, but the thought caused anger to rise within me. I saw the bodies, we were losing, and they were hiding in the office, saving their own skin, 'making plans' when there shouldn't be any major plans to make except fight to survive. "Why is it so important that he bring Stella with him?"