Never wanted this

Dream pov:

The next couple of days George barley said or ate anything. He was becoming paler, and less himself. My conscience was eating up my stomach, so much so, that I could barely hold down what little food I did eat. I never asked for this. I never wanted to be a part of this confidential group of "truckers". I'm beginning to wonder if it would have been better to just die. I'm the reason for the bitter tears, in so many homes, once they face the reality that their child, friend, partner, is never coming home.

I slam my fist hard on the steering wheel. George barley flinches. I think he's almost fully accepted his outcome. Death. Oh but I wish it were that simple, painless, quick. I would really do anything at this point to let him escape, but I know they'd find him. One way or another. Before he tells the whole world about his dreadful experience. There is no way I'd make it out alive either. We were both doomed. I wish I could explain to him that this wasn't who I was. That I was better than this. That I wanted us to get to know each other. Life had the potential of being so much more fulfilling. Yet, I was stuck, in an endless loop of guilt, anger, and sadness. What really was the point of living anymore. I was never getting out. I really don't care all that too much about my life. Maybe I could sacrifice it to save George. Anything, to save him.

"George?'' I ask, my voice barely above a whisper. He doesn't move. "George?"

I'm beginning to wonder if he's asleep. I slightly nudge his shoulder. He turns to me. His chocolate brown eyes have deep circles under them, and are slightly glazed over.

"George, you should try to get some sleep." I coax. He just looks back out the window, leaning his head on the sill.

"You know I don't want to do this."

He doesn't answer, so I continue.

"You know, once I was just like you, trapped, scared, facing the reality that I was damned to die. But somehow, I'm still here. They decided to torcher me with the job of a trucker instead of getting my organs stolen, or my labor being free as a slave. I might have been used as an experiment for new drugs. Or as furnace fuel."

He still wasn't responding, but I could tell he was listening intently.

"You know any of those I would have preferred than what I am right now. I'd do anything to not be hurting you like this. I'd sacrifice myself, George, but they'll find you. They'll always find you."

My words are shaky. I take a deep breath and glance at George. He's looking over at me now, his eyes glossy with tears.

"What...why...why would you do that...for me?" He asks, his voice horse.

I give him a small smile. "I, I never wanted to do anything to hurt you. I tried, I really did try. There is nothing I can do now. I just want to keep you," I pause, "I just want you to be alright."

"Dream."

"Yes?"

"You never answered my question."

"Hmm?"

"Why would you do that for me, Dream? Why me?"

"Cause, George," I let out a light laugh. "You're too perfect, too innocent, too...beautiful, to have those things done to you."

He didn't say anything back. He just stared at me with his gorgeous big eyes.

"Dream?" He finally spoke.

"Yes?"

"Why don't we run away together. We're alone, and surely far away from wherever this place is."

"If only it were that easy." I sigh, "they implanted a tracking device in me george." I didn't want to continue but I knew he would ask. "They made me put one in you too, when you were asleep."

"Wait, what, where?! How could you do that?" George wailed frantically.

I stare out into the endless road, the fog blurring my vision. I knew that night I shouldn't have. I should have let him have his chance to go free. That was my one opportunity to properly trade my life for his. I gaze over at him.

"I know. I know. It was my one chance and I fucked up. I regret it. Deeply."

He stayed silent for so long I thought he hadn't heard me, or was so furious, he was never gonna speak again. However, after what seemed like hours, he responded.

"This isn't your fault, Dream."

I was so shocked I nearly spun off the road. That certainly was not what I was expecting.

"But that part really is, I could have prevented it, I could have saved you."

He drew a deep breath. "Not without putting yourself in irreversible danger. You were being controlled."

"So what exactly are you getting at George?" I ask curiously, wondering what this actually means.

"I forgive you. I forgive you for kidnapping me, shoving a tracking device into me, crushing my future."
Damn now he was really making me feel evil. I know I was, but having him repeat it all was like a punch in the gut.

"All you have to do now is make it up to me." George finished.

I nearly choked. Make it up to him? He said to himself I ruined his life. What could I ever do to fix that?

"Wh--at? How am I to..'make it up to you'?" I question.

"Well, firstly, I'm not gonna die." George states. He sounds confident, staring directly ahead.

"I know I said I'd give my life for you George, but that's not gonna work no--"

"You're not gonna die either." He still is so matter-a-fact, I'm wondering if he's finally gone insane.

"Bu--"

He cuts me off again.

"Dream, where are these tracking devices?"

"Well, in our arms," I say, pulling up my t-shirt to show him the black speck that wasn't very visible through my tan skin.

"Perfect."

"Wha--what do you mean 'perfect' George?" I ask, raising my voice a tad. This was beginning to get to me. I take a deep breath, trying to gain composure.

"Dream." George looks at me. His face has totally changed its appearance. He seems so full of determination and certainty. "I have a plan."

Author's note: sorry for the cliffhanger! Hope you guys are liking it so far! Comment what you think George's plan is. Lol. drink water and eat if you haven't. Stay safe loves :)