The call

George's pov:

The plan wasn't fully formed in my head yet. All I wanted to do was get me and Dream out. Yes, it was his fault I was in this mess in the first place, but he couldn't really reverse it now. I still don't know if I believe his whole sob story of 'never wanting this'. However, I wasn't just gonna let him hurt more people, and he needed to make it up to me.

The sun was slowly slipping above the horizon, casting beautiful shadows all along the road. We were apparently driving all the way up to New York, to meet whoever this 'big man' is.

"George," Dream murmured, his voice a little softer than before, "what is your plan?"

I just turned and smiled. Like I had it all figured out, though honestly, it was far from it. Dream needed to know who was actually in control. Which, obviously in this situation, was him, but I could hijack that position.

"Oh Dream, you know you could have done this long ago if you had wanted." I lie, there was no way he could have gotten someone to cooperate with it.

"Well I won't ever be able to kick myself in the ass unless you tell me," he groaned, sounding slightly annoyed. "Just get on with it and tell me."

"No." I state finally.

"Wait what? You have a mastermind idea on how to get us out of this, and you won't enlighten me."

I laugh. "I will only tell you..." I pause. "If you let me call my friends."

He had taken my phone the first night, so that when we got back in range of service, I couldn't call 911 or something, which was expected, he is a kidnapper after all.

"Wha--why would I let you do that?" He stammered.

"I thought you weren't the bad guy in this situation," I mock, giving him a side smile. He'll agree, whether he likes it or not.

"You're just gonna tell them everything, and have them call the police. Then I'll go to jail forever. Which wouldn't be so bad, if I hadn't witnessed that before with a friend of mine. It didn't turn out pretty."

"Wait yeah, why don't you just call the police?" I question, now confused.

"You don't realize how strong the organization I work for is," Dream sighed, "they have agents on the inside, they will figure out how to make you die before you can spill anything. It's all rigged George, the whole system."

"Bu--" I begin, but he quickly interrupts me.

"No George, you'd never be safe. You'd go home, thinking everythings fine. Then your family would find you with an untraceable knife in your chest, or bullet in through your head."

"So you're worried about me ratting you out to my friends." I ask finally, trying to comprehend what he has just said.

"No, I just don't want you to be happy." He declares, expressionless.

"Wait what?" I exclaim, punching him on the arm. I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not.

"No George," he looks at me solemnly "of course I'm worried. I'm scared you're gonna die, or..."

I smile. He looks back out the windshield, the sun hitting his hair just right. He is so gorgeous. Maybe he really does care. Maybe. Maybe he really had no choice. Oh I'd give the world for that to be true.

"Dream, all I want to know is if they're ok, and I want them to know I'm fine. I bet by now they're absolutely hysterical."

I was fully expecting him to deny my request again, however, he didn't say anything. He reached into his chest pocket and handed me my phone. He didn't give me any instructions either.

"I trust you." Was all he said.

I contemplated telling them everything, as I powered on my phone. I mean, was it actually true what Dream had said. Shurley not. My phone was flooded with missed calls and messages from almost everyone I know. I ignore them all and dial Tommy's number, my fingers have never flown across the numbers so fast. He answers almost immediately.

"GEORGE! What the hell? Where are you? What happened?" I was greeted with about a million questions before I finally got a word in edgewise.

"Tommy, I'm fine." I laugh gleefully, it was so good to hear his voice again.

"Well where are you? I'll go pick you up right away."

I pause, I was about to tell him everything when I glanced at Dream. He was looking straight ahead, his eyes glossed over. His face was sober, it almost looked as though he might break into a thousand pieces. It hit me that If I tried to explain to Tommy, he wouldn't attempt to stop me. He'd already accepted his fate, he would have never let me call if he hadn't.

I let out a deep breath. "Tommy, things are a little complicated right now, I probably won't be able to call for a while."

"What? What do you mean George," His voice sounded more concerned than panicked now.

"How did you guys end up getting home?" I asked, avoiding his question.

"Oh you mean two days ago? Well it was about 5 am the next morning and our phones all of a sudden started to work. We were soaked to the skin. We just called an uber, and then later on the police and a tow truck, to deal with the cars."

"I'm really happy to hear you guys are safe." I said, I could feel tears stinging at my eyes, I didn't realize how much I missed them, or how worried I was, until this moment.

"Yeah, me too," he paused, "so where are you exactly? What happened? Why aren't you home?" Tommy sounded almost angry.

"I said this already. I can't tell you. I'll be home as soon as I can. Don't worry about me. Goodbye Tommy."

"George, don't do this! Imma track your location---" I hung up. I hated to, but I know it's what has to be done. I couldn't bring them all to the grave with me.

I looked at Dream, who was already staring at me.

"You didn't tell," he was smiling and tears were slowly falling from his eyes. I had never seen Dream even close to tears, it felt weird watching a grown man, let alone someone who had been through so much, cry.

"No," was all I said.

"You easily could have, I wouldn't have stopped you," he said softly, turning back to the road.

"I know."

"Then why didn't you?"

"Dream," I eventually said, "we are going to get out of this, dead or alive. I won't be a victim to these people's games. I won't let them continue to thrive on people's suffering."

"So you're gonna share your idea?"

I smiled. Yes, now I did have a sly scheme, and I was more determined than ever to bring it to pass.