Darkness

Dream Pov:

The drive went on in silence for a while. It killed me inside to see Geroge upset. I didn't know why, considering how just the day before we were both busy, looking forward to our escape. I knew, however, even with the slight chance we can pull this off, life will never be the same. Especially for George. 
I'd even suggested just cutting his tracker out now and have him go alone, causing me to face the consequences that I would gladly accept, knowing George's safe. He heavily refused though, saying there was no way he was gonna allow me to get harmed for his sake. Even though I definitely deserved it. 
"Why was your deadline shortened?" George broke the quiet that had been hanging over us like a dark fog.
"Uh I don't know," I answered honestly. Bad had refused to tell me saying 'I would if I knew, sorry dude' over and over. 
"Sure." Geroge huffed, I could tell he didn't believe me. 
"I'm telling the truth, he didn't tell me."
George just stayed quiet, staring out the window at the passing fields. 
"Are you..." I started "mad at me?"
I knew it was a silly question the moment it came out of my mouth. George just shrugged. Refusing to talk. 
The landscape changed as the sky got darker and I continued driving. We had only stopped to get gas, then rushed back to the road. 
"Dream," George whispered gently. It had been the first time he had talked for hours. 
"Yes George?" I was relieved he had stopped his silent treatment. 
"Can we...possibly, get food?"
"Oh dang," I exclaimed, feeling horrible that I had neglected that factor to the extent that he broke his silent treatment to request it. 
"Yeah of course, uh we'll stop at the next gas station and you can get whatever," I assured. 
He just nodded. I was about to try to reignite the conversation that was born dead when George spoke.
"Dream, I'm sorry, if there's been confusion, or something along the lines of that, but…" he paused, taking a deep breath, "I am not interested in you like I may have made it seem. I'm sorry for leading you on…" he looked down, playing with his fingers, "but all I want is to get out of this situation, us out. Then I'm going back to Florida."
I sat there, stunned. I didn't realize the feelings that had slowly crept themselves into this, until the hope that he possibly felt the same was washed away. 
To be fair deep down I thought he liked me, all the blushing, side looks, staring. For good lord he invited me in his bed and cuddled me. He didn't owe me anything, this much I know, he's doing enough just by helping me. It just feels wrong, like he did it on purpose or something, maybe he's lying. I hope he is. I didn't plan on falling for my captive, but unannounced to me it had happened. 
I knew if I spoke all the wrong things would come out. Sure I had only known him for a few days, I don't know what's wrong with me, maybe it all was just my imagination. 
"Dream?" George whispered, my face must be explaining everything by the frightened and confused look on his face. 
"Uh yeah, sorry George, same, yeah I feel the same." God damn it why did I say that, of all the options. I had to tell him I had zero feelings as well. 
"Oh," his voice sounded disappointed. 
We both looked at eachother, I stared into his chocolate brown eyes, you could tell he actually slept well last night. I smiled just thinking about it. I had subconsciously just stopped the semi in the middle of the empty highway. We both said nothing, only our eyes did the talking. 
The sun was just starting to set, casting shadows over George's face. The light hit my eyes and I awkwardly squinted, but neither of us looked away. 
I gently ran my finger along his jawline and he let out a breath he must have been holding, sighing deeply. 
He slowly brought his pale, small hand up to my neck, caressing it as we both leaned closer. By this time I could feel his breath on my mouth. I bit the inside of my cheek, moving my finger to adjust his chin. His lips lightly brushed mine…
**HONK**
"Holy shit!" I exclaimed, bringing my attention back to the road. George quickly sat back and looked in the rear view mirror. Sure enough, there was a car which caged a pissed off driver like a pen holding a hound. 
I imminently pulled aside, waving for them to pass us. I turned to George. I was surprised he didn't have a heart attack. I gave him a sly grin. 
"So...you don't have feelings for me?" I questioned and began to laugh. 
He rolled his eyes and gently slapped my arm. He's so cute when he's sassy. 
"Shut up, you said that too."
"Mhm, did I?" I asked sheepishly, a smile still plastered on my face. 
"Yes--"
"But I really don't recall.."
"We both lied ok," he whined, pretending to be annoyed with the whole situation.
"I never said I lied," I joked. He gave me a hard glare. "I'm kidding! I'm kidding!" I laughed as he started slapping me with both hands this time. "Stop! Imma drive off the road." 
"You aren't even driving dickhead," he giggled, but stopped the hitting. 
He looked up at me, smiled to himself then looked away. 
"So George?" I began hesitantly, but he cut me off, as he seems to like to do. 
"Dream, let's just focus on the task at hand, we'll talk about this later." 
I sighed, I knew he was right. We still had a tight schedule to keep, and a lot of carefully planned steps ahead.
I nodded, giving his hand a tight squeeze before letting go. 
His eyes danced with joy, as his face turned a light shade of red, and he rushed to hide it by burying his face in his hands. 
We sat in a peaceful silence after that, calm before the storm. George eventually fell asleep, not that I was surprised. The darkness slowly began to surround us, it hit me how treacherous the next few days were gonna be. I don't know if I'm prepared to be honest. 
The drive was deathly slow. I even searched the radio for music. (which I never do cause radio music sucks, fight me) Nothing to my liking of course. I wish George would just wake up. 
The night seemed like it was swallowing us, the loneliness of it hung in the air like fog. I could tell that the sleeping person in the passenger seat could feel it too, the cold sensation of uneasiness that was engulfing us both. This day alone felt like a roller coaster. From this morning with the strange deadline change, to when George betrayed my heart, to the moment where we almost kissed then got rudely interrupted. Now was a feeling that made one squirm, as if you could sense the tension rising every second. Something was wrong, and yes, I've been doing this for years, but something was amiss in a work that couldn't be more evil, yet I was strangely used to. The silence became even more deafening, panic slowly washed over me. I was prepared for the ground to break open and release demons any second. I was about to shake George awake, feeling I might start hallucinating.
Then, like at the climax of a horror movie, my phone rang. 

Ahhhhh! sorry for de cliff hanger! hehe not really. dnf kissed??? hehe u thought! don't worry......things all work out in the end...maybe...mwahaha

drink water. stay safe loves <3