15.

CHARLIE STOOD IN THE OWLERY, WATCHING THE BIRDS IN SILENCE

CHARLIE STOOD IN THE OWLERY, WATCHING THE BIRDS IN SILENCE. His head was roaring with a million thoughts, meaning he didn't notice when Nymphadora entered and walked up beside him. A sharp pinch to the bicep jolted him back to reality, and Dora raised a brow.

"What are you doing?" She asked suspiciously, examining his face closely. He'd never had a very good poker face. Dora saw through him in record time. "Oh, I see... what are you hiding?"

"I've just sent off a job application."

The unimpressed look on her face told him that she knew there was more. The difference between her and Carina was that Nymphadora was like a bloodhound when she caught wind of a secret. She'd find out, and she'd make your life hell until she did.

Charlie couldn't meet her eyes as he whispered, "For a position in Romania."

The choking cough that ripped from Dora's throat startled him. He moved to help her, but she waved him away aggressively.

"Have you talked with Carina about this?" Dora wheezed out, struggling to correct the flow of oxygen to her lungs.

Carina.

He'd be lying if he said he wanted to talk to her about this.

It was a shot in the dark – which is what he'd told himself throughout the entire process – and there was no reason to get her worked up over something that was probably nothing. That, and he was terrified of her reaction.

"You have to tell her, Charlie. If you don't do it soon, I will," Dora warned.

"I know," he groaned. "I will, but not yet."

The exasperation was clear as day on his friend's face.

"I want to tell her, Tonks. There's no one in the world I want to tell more, I just..." his voice faltered, and he looked down at his feet.

"You're afraid of what she'll say when you tell her you're leaving."

Charlie's heart stuttered violently at the blunt nature of her words. His Gryffindor pride rioted at the idea of him being too afraid to do something, but he couldn't deny it. He was afraid. Merlin almighty, was he terrified.

Carina had been with him for so long it felt like forever, and Charlie had never once doubted that someday it would be forever. This job in Romania meant nothing if it meant he couldn't have her. The dream wasn't right without Carina in it.

His voice was low and soft when he said, "I'm afraid that she'll make me leave."

Sadness flickered across Dora's face, but Charlie continued.

"If I have to choose between Carina and my dream job in Romania... then I don't want to go," he admitted. "If doing this means losing her, it's not worth it. I don't want to tell her, because she will never let me choose her. You and I both know that."

He didn't give Nymphadora the chance to say anything, too worried for her response. Charlie stepped around her and left the owlery as fast as he possibly could.

"Dammit!" He faintly heard Dora grunt behind him, but he didn't look back.