21.

RETURNING TO HOGWARTS MEANT RETURNING TO REALITY

RETURNING TO HOGWARTS MEANT RETURNING TO REALITY. Carina Tonks had a choice to make. Her sister refused to let her forget it.

"Rina, please just talk to Charlie," Dora begged, laying in the bed beside her.

"There's no point. I've made my decision."

The letter she'd received that morning had made her decision final. The sanctuary sent a reminder that the deadline was fast approaching. She had one week to accept the position.

Carina sat and stared at the piece of parchment for a long time, but it all boiled down to one thing. In one week, she was either bound for Romania at the end of the term or not.

If she accepted, in one week she'd have to explain to Charlie why she was leaving him.

And she couldn't do that.

"No."

Nymphadora said nothing else, but she pushed herself out of bed and tore out of their dormitory like it was on fire. The sick feeling in Carina's stomach told her all she needed to know about where her twin was headed.

Chasing after Dora, Carina dodged student in the corridor. The Great Hall was up ahead, where the Weasley's would surely be having breakfast. They were a family of early risers.

"Dora, stop!" Carina begged. "This is my choice!"

"It's a stupid choice," Nymphadora called over her shoulder, bursting into the Great Hall.

The commotion the two were causing drew plenty of attention. To her displeasure, the Weasley's were among the people staring openly at the twins. Dora was in considerably better shape than Carina, it seemed, because she beat her to Charlie by a landslide.

"Charlie, you two need to talk."

The wheezing sounds of Carina's breath as she finally caught up had the Gryffindor table turning to her.

"Don't listen to her," Carina huffed. "She's trying to meddle where she isn't wanted."

Charlie's face was pale, seeing the stubborn expression on Nymphadora's face. She'd worn it each time she'd cornered him about Romania, and he knew this was no different.

"Uh..."

"Do it," Dora warned. "Or I will."

Unbeknownst to Carina and Charlie, the metamorphmagus was talking to both of them.

"Let's take a walk, doll?" Charlie asked hesitantly, his palms beginning to sweat.

"I... okay."

While his siblings watched on with curious and worried expressions, Charlie led Carina out of the Great Hall and onto the grounds. They walked for several minutes before Carina began speaking rapidly.

"I've been offered a job after graduation."

The red haired boy halted in his steps. Carina wouldn't meet his gaze and fidgeted worriedly at his side.

Clearing his throat, he asked, "One that you... want?"

"We haven't discussed our plans after Hogwarts together," Carina whispered. "And I really need to know, Charlie."

His heart felt like it was ready to beat right out of his chest, and Carina was no better.

"I've also been offered a job after graduation."

He watched his girlfriend's face closely, so he immediately caught the look of pain that flashed across her face before she could mask it. With a fake smile, Carina turned to him.

"Are you going to take it?" She asked, doing her best to sound happy. Charlie wasn't fooled.

"I... I don't think so," Charlie swallowed. It was his turn to avoid her gaze.

"You want to," Carina stated. It was plain as day on his face. He wanted that job. This was exactly what she was afraid of when she got the owl from Romania. "I think you should do it."

Charlie laughed, shaking his head. "You don't even know what it is."

Or where it is, he thought.

"It doesn't matter," she shrugged. "I've been your best friend for a long time, Charlie. If this is something you want, I'll support you."

Merlin, if his heart didn't break right then.

"It's not that easy, doll."

Carina opened her mouth to respond, but Charlie cut her off hastily. "Besides, what about your job offer. You wouldn't be this torn up about it if it wasn't perfect. Don't you think I want to support you too?"

"Of course, I think that," Carina nodded. The sad smile on her lips didn't sit right with Charlie as she said, "That's why I'm not going to take it."

Charlie's hands held her cheeks as he searched her face.

"Rina, that's not what I want. I want to be with you... wherever you are," he insisted. "I have nothing to offer you. I have no money, no fancy heirlooms. Our lives will never be perfect."

He kissed her forehead softly and continued speaking into her hair.

"If you're with me, then I'm all in. If the only thing I can give you is your dream job, then you gotta let me. Please."

Carina sniffled quietly into his chest before choking out, "It's in Romania, Charlie."

He froze momentarily before jerking her away from him by the shoulders. Charlie held her at arm's length with wide eyes.

"You're taking the piss."

Misunderstanding his reaction, Carina's eyes welled up with more tears. Charlie couldn't fight the smile growing on his face even if he wanted to.

"I was offered a position at a dragon sanctuary in Romania, babe," Charlie laughed heartily.

"Holy shit."

Charlie sputtered at the sound of the curse words coming from his girlfriend's mouth, but she didn't wait for him to recover. Carina launched herself at Charlie, knocking him off balance.

They fell to the grass in a heap, Charlie taking the brunt of the fall.

"We've got to go to the Owlery right away, Charlie!" Carina shrieked. "We're going to be dragonologists in Romania!"

She pushed herself off of the ground and started running back toward the castle. Charlie watched for a moment before rushing to follow her, laughing the whole way.

Not only did he finally get his dream girl, but now they'd both be getting their dream jobs.

Together.