16.

"CHARLIE, HURRY UP!"

Carina bustled through Hogsmede excitedly, heading for the Three Broomsticks. Every Valentine's Day, the pair holes up in a booth of the pub and people watches all the couples in the village. The February air was crisp as ever, and Carina was desperate for a warm butterbeer.

She didn't even wait for Charlie to catch up before she threw open the door and barreled inside. Her cheeks were tinged pink from the cold. The red haired Gryffindor admired her boyishly as he followed her into a booth to the side of the room.

"First round's on me," Carina chirped, slapping a few galleons on the table. Her eyes roamed the room before stopping on Percy Weasley. "Holy Merlin, Charlie... that's Percy!"

Penelope Clearwater sat across from the younger Weasley, pieces of parchment in front of them. They appeared to be studying in Hogsmede on Valentine's Day. Charlie chuckled at his nerd of a brother, earning a warning glare from the girl across from him.

She hissed, "Don't poke fun at him. It's cute."

"Studying on Valentine's Day is cute?"

"It fits his personality," she said, pursing her lips. "And from what I understand, it fits her personality as well."

Butterbeer was sat in front of each of them, and they wasted no time in taking large swigs from their frothy glasses.

Charlie snorted into his mug as he caught sight of a couple violently snogging in corner of the pub. He subtly gestured their way with his head, enjoying the flush that spread on Carina's surprised face. A delicate finger pointed somewhere over his shoulder, where a pair of younger students looked to be on a very awkward first date.

Just like every year, their tradition made a bittersweet feeling bubble in his chest. All around them were couples enjoying dates together to celebrate the holiday while he sat with the girl he'd loved forever, trying desperately to keep his longing looks to himself. He could only hope that someday they could celebrate differently.

After twenty more minutes and another round of butterbeer, a blonde girl approached their table. She was visibly nervous, earning a patient smile from Carina.

"Hello," the blonde exhaled, eyeing Charlie. "Are you on a date?" While Charlie raised a brow in confusion, Carina only laughed lightly.

"Not at all," Carina grinned knowingly. Despite her friend being a little slow on the uptake, Carina recognized the attraction shining on the stranger's face. She has a crush on Charlie. Her eyes twinkled as the girl sagged in relief.

"Oh, fantastic," she breathed. "Would you... do you think we could get a butterbeer together later this afternoon?"

Charlie's face went deathly pale as he gaped at the girl in front of them, whose name he still didn't know. It was no secret that Charlie didn't often date, but he had no desire to date anyone. He certainly had no desire to do it today of all days. His eyes darted to Carina, who was giving him wide yes eyes.

"Uh..."

"He'd love to," Carina cut in. "In fact, he's free right now. I have to get back to the castle. Keep him company for me?"

She scrambled to gather her bag and sweater, standing from the booth and practically shoving the poor girl into it. Charlie just choked out fragments of words that didn't quite make sense at the scene.

"Have a good time, yeah? It was nice meeting you..." Carina trailed off, rocking on the balls of her feet.

"Lydia," the blonde girl filled in.

"It was nice meeting you, Lydia. I'll catch you later, Charlie!"

He watched his best friend almost run out the door to the pub, leaving him on a date he didn't agree to go on.

Fuck.

-

When he finally returned to the castle, Charlie found a letter waiting for him on his trunk. He picked it up, freezing at the sight of the dragon seal. Romania has sent him their response to his application.

Could today get anymore complicated right now?

His clammy hands ripped open the envelope and froze at the bold acceptance staring up at him. The Romanian Reserve wanted him to be a dragonologist upon graduation. His excitement was bittersweet, knowing he'd have to choose a path for his future soon.

He had to choose between the two things he wanted most for himself: the career of a lifetime or Carina.

The idea of that conversation, no matter which direction it went in, felt like a bludger to the chest.