Chapter 7: Brief encounter

The day dawned bright and clear. And Arnav was woken up by the hustle bustle of the house, already awake and busy. It was his Haldi ritual this morning at their home, with the wedding scheduled for this evening at Kashyap Mansion. He stirred in bed and sat up, looking at the clock..... 7am.

He usually woke up at 5:30 by habit. But he was tired last night and was tossing and turning with an unnamed disturbance until the wee hours of the morning. Something kept him awake, a feeling of impending doom, a feeling that something wasn't right. But then he put it down to wedding jitters, before falling into a restless sleep at dawn.

He leaned tiredly against the headboard, not making a sound. He knew that the moment everyone realized he was awake, he'd be surrounded by people, and he needed these few moments to himself. To mourn the passing of an era, the end of his bachelorhood. This evening, he would be a married man. Was he supposed to feel this jittery? Aren't the brides supposed to have these feelings? But who is to say that grooms shouldn't feel the same.

His life was changing too. Maybe not as much as Lavanya's, but it was changing. Akash and Shyam had stopped by yesterday in the morning to advise him on appropriate husband behavior. They'd made it a game to see who would frighten him more. Telling him horror stories about their own marriages. Relaying their frustration with their wives and the utter drudgery of married life. It would've been more convincing if they hadn't spoken so fondly of their wives, their love shining through even the worst stories. But he wasn't in love with Lavanya, so would he be able to speak so fondly of her while relating stories about their married life? He couldn't imagine what life with her would be like, what life as a married man would be like.

The restlessness came back in full force. Was he making a mistake getting married to someone he didn't love? He was surrounded by couples who'd done wedded life a certain way...... met each other.... fallen in love.... gotten married. His parents, Akash-Payal, Shyam-Anjali, even Chacha-chachi, they'd all opted for a love marriage. Maybe when his Dadi said he was a throwback to his grandfather, she was right in more ways than one. Dada-Dadi had an arranged marriage, meeting each other just once before getting married. But he'd seen their interactions growing up, and they were definitely in love. Maybe he'd have the same luck with Lavanya, falling in love with her after marriage, like his Dadaji had done.

That thought cheered him up and he smiled, getting out of bed, ready to start this day that would change his life.

He'd taken a couple of steps to the bathroom when his bedroom door squeaked open slowly, and his mom peeked in, smiling as she noted that he was awake.

"Chote? You're awake..... Good", she bustled in, with a big platter in her hand.

"Good morning, Maa", he walked over and impulsively hugged her. The most important woman in his life.

"Arey wah..... someone's getting all sentimental on their Maa today", Ratna smiled, as she hugged him back.

"Just felt like it, Maa", Arnav blushed. He wasn't used to showing his affection like this, they made him awkward, but it didn't mean he loved his mother any less.

Ratna stepped out of the hug, holding his face between her hands, and pulled his head down to kiss his forehead in a familiar gesture of affection. He'd received this kiss so many times in his life, not realizing how important it was to his wellbeing until today. It settled something deep inside him, a cozy feeling of being loved..... unconditionally.

"I love you Maa", he whispered.

Ratna's eyebrows went up. He used to be the most affectionate kid and would happily display his love for everyone, but she hadn't heard this declaration for a very long time now, for anyone, not since he was 10. She knew he loved her, he showed her everyday in his actions, but it was still nice to hear the words once in a while.