Chapter 40: Epilogue - Crazy, Stupid, Love

5 years later....

"Khushiiiii"

"Stop yelling, I'm coming. Two minutes!"

"You said two minutes 20 minutes ago", Arnav said exasperatedly.

"Well, its going to take two minutes more", Khushi told him archly, yelling from inside the bathroom, where she'd closeted herself for the last hour.

"Its your function, yaar! How are you the last one to get ready?"

"Its because I had to change my blouse three times already", Khushi walked out of the bathroom, looking like a dream.

Arnav just stared. No matter how many times he saw his wife, she always took his breath away. They'd been married for 5 years now, but she still managed to make his heart beat like crazy.

"You... look... just.... just...."

"Just what?" She asked.

"Just!", Arnav replied, putting his arms around her waist and dragging her into him.

Her arms went around his neck automatically as she leaned into him, "Sorry it took so long, but none of my blouses fit me anymore", she wailed.

"I'm not complaining", he grinned at her, looking down at the offending twin appendages.

"Why would you? You have no shame!", she smacked him on his arm, wiggling out of his hold, as she gathered her purse and a pair of stilettos.

"You're wearing those?" Arnav asked her worriedly.

"No, you worrywart. I'm just picking them up and putting them away. I have flats that I shall be wearing", she assured him, suiting action to words.

"I have a right to worry, Sweetie! Can't afford to have you trip and fall", Arnav told her gently.

Khushi just smiled at him, patting his arm soothingly.

"Do we have to go to this function? You were not feeling so good earlier", Arnav asked.

"I'm fine now. The nausea comes only in the morning. This is not our first rodeo, Arnav. I had the same symptoms with Aarav too, remember. It's the fifth month, they'll go away by the sixth", Khushi reassured him.

He still had the worry lines on his forehead, and Khushi sighed. Those lines were going to stay there until the safe birth of their child. Atleast this time, he was a little more reasonable. When she was pregnant with Aarav, he was a complete nutcase.

"But why hold a function and all? Just a press conference would be good, right? Then you wouldn't miss your afternoon nap".

"Arnav, come on! They're announcing the movie rights of my new YA book. The media will be there in full force for the press conference, but the publishers, the studio heads all want to meet with me. They're making a big deal of the signing. Nishant thinks its good publicity and required at this point. Plus, you know, he would never let me get too exhausted, right?"

Arnav grudgingly agreed that Nishant did have her best interests at heart, so if he said this was the way to go, then he must be right.

"But if I see you flagging, then I am dragging you home right that instant, ok?"

"Yes, my bossy pants husband! You can drag me home when I get too tired. I will let you know immediately if I feel like I cannot take it anymore, ok?"

"Ok", he agreed.

As they walked out of their room, Khushi turned to him, "Aarav?", she asked.

"Akash and Payal took him and Kanak to Di's house. They'll be back after dinner. If we're late, Payal has promised to read him a Diya Mohan book and put him to sleep"

Khushi grinned at him. Their two-year-old son absolutely loved the Diya Mohan books, and wouldn't sleep unless read from one of them each night. Kanak, Akash and Payal's 2.5-yr-old, was just as crazy about them. She called them her "Chachi books".

After their marriage, Khushi had told all the family members about her writing. They'd been ecstatic and oh... so very proud of her.

Hrishi and Aarya were over the moon, and Khushi had a very tough 2 months after that, with both kids insisting on giving her plot ideas and continuously nagging her for the next book's details. They insisted on bragging about her to anyone who would listen, and had to be explained multiple times what a secret identity was. Until Arnav had put his foot down and threatened them with no more access to the books if they bothered Khushi. They stepped down and were mollified when Khushi promised to let them read the books before they hit the market. They'd been behaving after that. But it was still flattering to Khushi that they held her writing in such high esteem.

Six months later, her first Young Adult novel had hit the market and been a resounding success, catapulting her into the big leagues. And Khushi had gone public. With her identity revealed, there was a media frenzy for a while, leading her to resign from her teaching job. She felt a pang, but didn't regret it too much. Along with her identity, she was also Mrs. ASR, so that tag was its own paparazzi bait. The year after her marriage was a tough one for her in terms of privacy.

With the advent of Aarav after an uncomfortable pregnancy, she'd finally felt settled, and had gotten used to juggling her twin identities as DM and KKGSR. Fortunately, it helped that with family and close friends, she was always Khushi. And having Arnav by her side through all that.... through everything... helping her, protecting her.... that was the icing on her lovely cake.

Her second YA book had come out eight months ago, and a few months later, when it was picked up for a movie deal, Khushi had been over the moon.

Arnav had expanded his business overseas, already conquering the Asian market and aiming for the European one now. It kept him busy, but he had gotten better at delegating. In his own words, he had other priorities now, and he made it a point to be home each night in time to have dinner with the family, and put his son to bed. Khushi and he still grabbed a few moments beside the pool every night before heading to bed.

Lavanya and NK were frequent visitors to Shantivan, along with their growing families.

Even though Khushi had multiple offers from different publishers, she opted to stay with Nishant, and both his business and her writing grew mutually. Along with that, the friendship between the two couples also blossomed, with Arnav and Nishant discovering a mutual love of Squash together, and played every weekend.

Whenever Khushi reflected on her life, she was amazed to see how far she'd come. Her writing, her husband, her children and her family... her life was complete and full. And she was so grateful to God for having given her everything she could have ever asked for... and more.

She looked at the man sitting beside her in the car now, and was overwhelmed with love for him.

Arnav looked at her and noticed the tears in her eyes. Not too worried, because her pregnancy hormones were making her weep at the drop of a hat, he nevertheless cupped her cheek and asked, "What happened, Khushi?"

Khushi wrapped her arms around him and borrowed into his chest, shaking her head, "Nothing. Just... I love you dammit"

His arms came up to wrap themselves around her too, and he grinned at her, kissing the top of her head, as he pulled her closer, "I love you dammit too, Khushi"

The End!!!!!