Chapter 39: The Proposal

Khushi was looking for the two plates that Anjali insisted were in the garden. She had told her that she'd seen Payal put them in the kitchen, but Anjali, for whatever reason, believed they were in the garden. Not wanting to argue any more, Khushi headed out dutifully to the garden to look for the plates.

After a cursory search, she sighed and decided to head back. As she turned, she saw Arnav walking towards her.

"Hi", he said softly.

"Hello", she replied.

Then the jocularity of the situation hit her, and she giggled.

His eyes lit up, "What's so funny?"

"I think we've had this same exchange about 2 dozen times this morning. We've been saying Hi and Hello all morning, without exchanging more than that", she grinned at him, suddenly at ease with him again.

"Well, I did add a 'How are you' that one time", he grinned back.

"So you did! ... At the risk of breaking our streak, I shall ask you how you liked the pooja", she quipped.

"These things are not my scene, you know that! I came because Di asked"

"What did she use this time? She really needs your help? The kids will be disappointed? What will people say?", she asked laughing.

"Pretty much all of the above", he laughed back.

"Wow! All of them? She must've wanted you here pretty badly then", Khushi smiled at him, glad they were talking like before.

"I wanted to be here pretty badly too", Arnav said softly.

Khushi couldn't read the look in his eye, but waited patiently with one eyebrow raised.

"I wanted to talk to you", Arnav confessed.

"Me too. I wanted to apologize, Arnav. I am really very sorry", Khushi spoke in a gush.

"You did what you thought was correct at the time. I don't think you need to apologize for saving your friend"

"Does this mean I am forgiven then?", Khushi asked, still contrite.

"It means you don't really need to ask for forgiveness so many times. I'm sorry I ignored your calls and emails. Am I forgiven for that?"

Khushi felt a huge burden lifting off her. He'd forgiven her. Now all she had to do was make him fall in love with her, and everything would be fine in her world. She smiled wryly at her grandiose imagination. Maybe she should aim for friendship first. Yes... that made more sense... friendship first, then the rest. Baby steps, Khushi.... Baby steps! She admonished herself.

"There's nothing to forgive, Arnav. You felt betrayed by me, and I understand. If the roles were reversed, I would take atleast 6 months to forgive you, so I'm lucky that you only took three months", Khushi replied.

"Well, I usually take 6 months too, but we're friends aren't we? Friends deserve some concessions, don't they?"

"Are we?", Khushi asked, wryly.

"Are we what?"

"Are we friends?"

"Aren't we? I don't know about you, but I've always thought that we were friends, Khushi!", Arnav was distressed now. She didn't want to even be friends with him?

Khushi's heart broke.... again. He thought of her as a friend, and here she was, weaving dreams of a happily ever after with him. Maybe that kiss didn't mean as much to him as it did to her. Maybe he had the same chemistry with a lot of other women too, he was always surrounded by beautiful women, so it wasn't hard to think that he'd meet enough people who would appear attractive to him.