Chapter 20: Say Anything

Khushi had gone to bed with the intention of trying harder with Arnav. To bother him less and be more friendly. Tease him a bit maybe, like she did with Akash and Shyam jiju, instead of antagonizing him all the time. She got a good start on it too, in the morning.

She'd just finished making the morning tea, when she thought she would extend the first olive branch by making coffee for Arnav. She did make really good coffee based on her friends' reactions. So she brewed him a cup, and sent it with HP as usual. Making sure not to sweeten it, since she'd found out he was diabetic. And specifically told HP not to let him know that she had made it.

HP came back all smiles.

"Khushiji, Arnav bhaiyya really liked the coffee. He told me it was very good today and that I should use this brand from now on"

"Did you tell him it's the same brand and that I made it?"

"No, no. You told me not to say anything, so I just smiled and nodded", HP exclaimed slyly.

Khushi smiled. Arnav may not know it, but he'd accepted the olive branch.

As was her habit, she called Mina Di at her Shimla home, just before breakfast in the morning. Asking generic questions about the house and how everyone was, without naming names. Khushi found out that NK had arranged for a pandit and a wedding ceremony to be held in the local temple that evening. She'd told them not to register the wedding officially for a bit, because that would make them very easy to trace. But Lavu being Lavu wanted a temple ceremony, Khushi's religiousness had rubbed off on her quite a bit. Khushi smiled at Mina Di's news, a little sad that she wouldn't be able to attend her best friend's wedding. She and Lavanya had dreamed of their weddings for so long, making up scenarios, deciding on the clothes, the dances, the shenanigans they would get up to at their weddings. All of those dreams were now shattered into pieces, to be laid at the altar of Sameer Kashyap's ambitions. Lavanya's wedding would happen in secrecy at a temple, a simple ceremony with no family or friends around, while Khushi... she refused to think of the wedding that was just past. Hopefully, that won't be the last wedding ceremony she would participate in as a bride. Atleast Lavanya got to marry the man of her dreams. Khushi's mood went sour immediately. All her dreams of a beautiful wedding ground down to the dust.

She wasn't sure if she had ever hated anybody, and she realized she likely didn't hate Sameer Kashyap either, but she definitely actively disliked him. His wife, she just pitied. Lavu was better off coming out of their influence... and their control. Atleast she'd be happy with NK. And Khushi had hopes for the future. This whole month would be just a hiccup in her life. 50 years from now, when she looked back at this time, she would likely smile with nostalgia and amusement. She was determined to make it so.

She shook off her mood, and bid Mina Di goodbye, asking her to convey her best wishes to the happy couple.

Breakfast was a boisterous meal as usual, with everyone asking Anjali and Shyam to stay a few more days, while they demurred and gave logical reasons for their departure. Arnav didn't say anything, but Khushi noticed that he did spend the entire meal with Aarya in his lap, feeding her food from his plate and hers. He appeared reluctant to let her go when she wanted to run off after finishing her meal. Hmmm, so he did have a heart after all. Maybe he just didn't wear it on his sleeve like the rest.

"Anjali, maybe you can stay here until your birthday? The party planning will be a lot easier", Payal cajoled.

"Its your birthday? When?", Khushi asked delightedly. She was a huge fan of celebrations, having not had as many growing up, and a birthday was the best time to celebrate.

"This Saturday. And no, we are not having a huge celebration. We have an invalid at home, remember?", Anjali admonished everyone.

"No party? But Mumma, we always have a party for everyone's birthday", Hrishi whined.