Chapter 35: An Officer and a Gentleman

Khushi got ready at 6:30pm, and drove over to NK's house. Seeing Lavanya after a whole month was a new experience, they'd stayed together so much, that she realized they'd never been apart for this long. And just like she had not really missed Lavanya too much, Lavu was likely so involved in NK that she probably didn't miss Khushi either. Khushi smiled wryly as she rang the doorbell, realizing this would be their new paradigm now. Both involved in their own lives, since now their lives revolved around other people than themselves. Or atleast for Lavanya, it was true. Thinking of Arnav brought another pang to her heart.

Maybe after this Lavanya thing was put to rest, Khushi will come up with a plan to apologize and get back to Arnav somehow. She wouldn't rest until he was back in her life, on whatever terms he wanted.

Smiling at her new resolve, Khushi waited impatiently for the door to open.

"Khusssshiiiiii!", Lavanya screamed at her as she hugged her tightly enough to stop blood circulation in her neck. "I missed you sooooo much!"

"You'll miss me a lot more if I die because you've suffocated me to death", Khushi exclaimed wryly, as usual, taking refuge in humor when her emotions overwhelmed her.

Lavanya let go, then held her hand and dragged her inside the house, talking nineteen-to-a-dozen. Khushi paused and took inventory of Lavanya. She looked radiant. Marriage seemed to agree with her. The Lavanya she'd bid goodbye to a month ago was wan and distressed. This one was bubbling with happiness and good health. Khushi was relieved that some good came from this debacle.

NK came forward and gave Khushi a friendly hug too, "Thanks for everything, Khushi"

"For Lavanya, of course. For you, you owe me one", Khushi smirked at him.

"I owe you my life, Khushi!", NK smiled back.

"Please! I don't know how to deal with an emotional NK. An emotional Lavu is enough for now", she told him, acting scared.

"Congratulations, you guys!", Khushi hugged them both together, "I would've asked how are you, but I can see exactly how happy and excited you are, so we'll skip that"

An older couple walked over and smiled at Khushi. NK introduced his parents to Khushi.

"Thank you Khushi, for helping our son and daughter-in-law", NK's mom said.

"Aunty, they're my friends too. Besides, they would've been miserable without each other, and would've made me miserable too, so it was mostly a selfish motive", Khushi joked.

Lavanya smacked her on the arm in protest, laughing.

After the pleasantries were done and dinner was served and eaten amidst lots of talking between Lavanya and Khushi, with NK showing pictures and videos of their temple wedding, the time passed very quickly. Khushi was so glad to see Lavanya so happy. It was all worth it to see Lavu settled in her love life.

As the table was cleared after dessert, Khushi broached the elephant in the room, "NK, Lavu, what are your plans with the Kashyaps?"

NK's dad piped in, "We will talk to Lavanya's dad tomorrow", looking at his wife, who nodded.

Lavanya suddenly looked worried, "Papa, Dad will not be in a good mood. He will not be happy about this, and will likely not treat you well. Do you have to go there?"

"Yes Lavanya. I want to atleast make an effort. They're your parents, and I want to atleast try to see if this situation can be salvaged"

Lavanya looked down, the worry lines still on her forehead, but nodded in acceptance of the wisdom of this plan of action.