Chapter 14: Cold War

As soon as Dadi decreed her second decision, everyone's heads swiveled to look at her, some in confusion, some in delight, one in disbelief and one in satisfaction.

Khushi wasn't sure she had heard Dadi right. Did she just say Khushi had to stay in RM for a while? Until Lavanya comes back? But why?

"What?"

"Oh, that's a good idea"

"But why?"

Everyone reactions could be boiled down to those three exclamations. Arvind, Chachi and Khushi were in the first category, not sure they were believing their ears. Anjali, Payal, Akash and Ratna were in the second category, pleased with the idea, since they really liked Khushi and would've liked to spend some more time with her. While Chacha was in the third category by his lonesome, not sure what was going on, and wanting to know more.

Arnav was in his own category, satisfied with Dadi's decision, because it aligned with his own plans. He knew Khushi was hiding something, and he was determined to find out what. If she stayed in RM with his family, and under his notice at all times, it would be easier to find out exactly what had happened with Lavanya during the wedding ceremonies. And she was a tough nut to crack, so having the home advantage would be good.

"But Dadiji, why do I have to stay here?", Khushi was puzzled and a little bit scared.

"Just as you have your reasons that you have decided to hide from me, I have my reasons. They are very good ones, trust me, but I need you to stay here until Lavanya is found"

"But Dadiji, the marriage was not a real one. We didn't make it legal, so there's no reason why I should stay here. And we're telling everyone that Lavanya will be quarantined, so we just need to close up the room. Nobody will miss me if I'm not here", Khushi tried to reason with her.

"We'll tell everyone that Lavanya asked specifically for you to be with her, and since she's sick and new to this house, she was uncomfortable with any of the Raizadas. So she asked for her mom or you to come be with her during her illness. Since Mrs. Kashyap cannot stay with her daughter's inlaws, you were the best choice to be with her. The wedding guests have seen how close you and Lavanya are, so they won't doubt that she would ask you for help. Your stay here will be beyond suspicion".

"But Dadiji, I really cannot stay here. I have a job", Khushi was trying to come up with reasons why this was such a bad idea.

"Your school is much closer from here than from your own home. You can take leave for a couple of days, and then go back to work. It shouldn't be a problem at all", Dadi explained patiently.

"But all my stuff and my house and...", Khushi was grasping at straws now.

"You can go back today after breakfast and pack whatever you need for a month's stay. Make the arrangements to close up your home for a month, and if anything is needed, its only 30 minutes away from here, so you can always go back there to get it. Payal or Anjali can come with you today to help you pack", Ratna had an answer ready for her.

"But why do I need to stay here? I can always pretend to visit Lavanya and come over every weekend, right?"

"No, the story is that you are staying here to take care of her, so you need to stay here. I will explain my reasons in a month's time", Dadi was adamant.

"I think that's a good idea, Khushi", Anjali backed Dadi up, and everyone agreed with this new plan too.

Khushi looked at Arnav for support, and saw him smirking at her, a dangerous glint in his eye.

"Arnav, you don't think it's a good idea, do you?", Khushi asked him, secure in the knowledge that he would be the one person in the house who would agree with her that her staying in RM would be a very, very bad idea.