Prologue

28 July 1932, in China, the very recently deceased reanimated. The corpses broke out of their graves. The undead behaved the same way before they died, just as if they didn't die at all. However, the undead had a big appetite for brains. They will attack anyone in sight. Biting and eating part the victim's brain. The victim may die, but most victims will reanimate as a zombie and attack non-zombified humans. The undead, or "zombies" commonly used protection, and moved at different speeds. Zombies were ruthless. Whenever a defense was set up, they will have other zombies gather to overrun the defense, which almost always works.

This is when a company was created to try and create something that can fight this threat, other than simply using guns, or other weaponry. The zombies are sentient, so they couldn't be tricked and deceived. The company attempted to use plants to fight. Which worked as zombies didn't see plants as much of a threat. The company's name was changed to "Bloom and Doom Seed Co."

Soon, the company had finally managed to create their first bioweapon, the Peashooter. The bioweapon was sentient will shoot Peas at the undead threat. But they found one downside if they wanted to manufacture these plants, they would need sunlight to grow, which takes a while so they can't be set up quickly. So they came up with the Sunflower, which would spit out a substance with the same properties as sunlight. They continued to manufacture some more of these plants. When the company made bioweapons out of fungi, they found out the fungi slept at day, so the Coffee Bean was made to wake them up. In which the fungi would stay awake until the next morning.

More of these bioweapons or simply, "plants" were made. Bloom and Doom Seed Co. had created up to 49 different types of bioweapons in total, each of them a unique purpose. The plants were packaged in seeds and put on store shelves as fast as possible. Store shelves ran out quickly and only those fortunate enough to get Bloom and Doom seeds have a good chance of survival. Survivors commonly arranged plants in a grid system, to have a more organized and balanced defense. The grid arrangement eventually became a tradition for survivors to do.

But, the humans' numbers kept on declining as the zombies' tactic of overrunning places kept on working. Once the owners of the sentient plants had died, the plants had nothing to do. The zombies were not interested in eating plants, as they only see plants as an obstacle to what they wanted. Eventually, the human population was so low the sentient plants started living free lives instead of being tied to the shackles that are humans.