Chapter 37

My handwriting was, quite literally, perfect. 

Rows of kanji, hirigana, and katakana were handwritten onto various scrolls, all looking as if they had been printed by a machine. The reason for this was, once again, my slow perception. 

As I wrote, I was able to figure out the angles of this line, how large to make this look, how many fractions of a millimeter this space has to be… calculations ran through every stroke of a pen, and every dog of ink. Each stroke had a five minute’s worth of thought put into it. And so it was perfect. 

Orochimaru wanted to evaluate my handwriting, so he made me go onto a few solo missions and write all of the mission reports by hand. Each task was simple, and done in a few hours’ time. For me, days. 

My precision with senbon had surpassed human ability. I could throw a senbon from thirty meters away and hit a bullseye, then throw another senbon, stabbing and splitting into that same senbon. And another, and another. I could be a sniper with that precision, never needing to get even remotely close to my target. It made assassination missions childs play, when I didn’t have to worry about making it look like an accident. 

Anything that required precision, or years of muscle memory to complete, could be replicated out by me in minutes. Well, days in my head. Learning chakra strings? Easy. How to fight with a katana? Admittedly, harder, but each point I aimed for, each angle I achieved, and the amount of movement necessary to perform a slice was calculated long before I even began the movement. 

Now, I did need to spend time without my slow perception in order to learn the katas and basic stances, but I could slice a person’s skin in to a single ribbon exactly three millimeters thick with ease. Or, once I knew the mathematical formula and shape for an explosive seal, carve one into someone’s body before setting them off to explode while they were still alive.

Which was a morbid thought…

And very original too! No one thinks to carve a seal into an enemy’s flesh during a battle because of the precision, the struggling, the fighting, and the possibility of botching it. And because of lack of creativeness, speed, and knowledge… Whatever!

〰️🔸〰️

“You’re not Uchiha,” a pink-haired girl sneered. “The hell does Lord Orochimaru want with you?”

It was easy to ignore her; she was another loyal dog. Just as Anko was to Hiruzen, this idiot was to Orochimaru. Anyway, sharpening my kunai and katana was much more interesting than listening to her. Hell, even counting my thousands of senbon was better. After all, she only had the same recycled lines. 

“Who are you?” “Why are you here?” “Hey, idiot, you got ears, right?” “Who do you think you are, ignoring me!” 

I was beginning to consider knocking her out. A senbon to the neck would do wonders for my mental state as of now…

Or I could use her as a punching bag… logically, I knew I was an incredible fighter. But being demolished by Orochimaru did not help my pride at all…

I wonder how Sakura is doing…

”You ever talk, loser?”

Who was the true loser here? Her, someone who did nothing but talk talk talk… or me. I’m me. No need for explanation.

”Hey, answer me, albino freak!”

With a groan, I stood up and looked her over. 

Only a couple of movements, and she was on the floor bruised and beaten. I stood over her, dusting myself off. 

“You’re just as weak as your insults are.” And I turned around, seeing yellow eyes from the darkness. Oh, Orochimaru was watching, was he?

He stepped out of the shadows, someone else at his side. 

Ah, Sasuke was here. 

“Tsubaki-Chan, isn’t it great to be reunited with one of your teammates?” 

‘I suppose it doesn’t matter, that he’s here. I warned him that Orochimaru is after the Sharingan. He came on his own free will. No skin off my back.’ I walked forwards silently, eyes narrow. 

“Is Sakura okay?” Was all I asked. He nodded. 

〰️🔸〰️
Every single day started off with a fight between me and Sasuke. I beat him every single time.

At some point, I had to begin thinking of different ways to beat him up out of boredom. Orochimaru laughed every single time I threw the last Uchiha back into the ground. Sasuke always got right back up, demanding training from Orochimaru.

“Only the winner gets training from me,” he would laugh as I followed him to a training field, leaving Sasuke behind.

Of course, that wasn’t true. Sasuke would always be given training, just as harsh as mine. It was like a project, to Orochimaru. Sharingan, or the anomaly? The esteemed Uchiha, versus some fluke of a civilian. ‘What if I trained them the same way?’ ‘What if I closed their skill level?’

I. Always. Won.

Every single time, I would win. I had to win. I remember our deal.

”...If I join you, so you swear upon... your life to protect Sakura from harm? To never bring her pain?”

”Of course, of course,” though he said it offhandedly, I knew that he would honor his promise for as long that I would mind to keep me on his side. I’d just have to stay useful.

As long as I’m better than Sasuke.

I was fast, brutal, efficient…

Orochimaru had me head many of his experiments. “What happens when you cut out someone’s chakra pathways while they’re still alive, Tsubaki-Chan~?” Or “How long can a person live when you cut off their chakra supply?” “Try implanting subject-5803’s intestines in subject-1203.”

I stopped feeling anything, even when I knew I should feel guilty vivisecting people.

I wondered if Sakura would even recognize the person I’ve become.

The Shinigami gave me training too.

Well, more knowledge than training.

He told me forgotten stories of when gods roamed the earth. He told me of ancient curses, and the cycle of reincarnation that plagued the Sage of the Six Paths’s sons.

He showed me some of the Uzumaki’s lost seals, ones that specifically related to his power. And Jutsu they used to summon him into the mortal plane. And how to seal giant chakra constructs, such as the tailed beasts.

Or how to destroy gods.

“Why do I need to know how to kill a god?” I asked during one of his lectures. He only stared at me with dead eyes. I never got a reply.

〰️🔸〰️

Shinigami

Age: ?

Trustworthiness: 37%

Love: 5%(sensei-type relationship)

〰️🔹〰️
A/N from Bluekitten, hey everyone, new update from MayBeADragon1 and on other news I found out I have gallstones so I'm on the waiting list to get surgery.