Chapter 21

The first time I woke up with Avery, it was to intense pain with a knee accidentally in my guts. This time though, I awoke to her in my arms and my face buried in her hair as I spooned her. I could get on board with this new version much easier! She was still breathing deeply, her body warm up against mine and oh so soft, so I just lay there enjoying the feeling of holding her in my arms.

Was I scared? Of course! She was right on the money the previous night when she was talking about that, and I couldn't help but admit it. But she was right about the other things as well. I did feel a connection. Had I met her in a different way, and she asked me out I wouldn't have hesitated at all. We could have had a good relationship going before I even learned about who her mother was at that point. Would that have changed things? I don't know. But if she was ready to take a risk, then so was I.

Avery shifted a little in her sleep, causing her hair to fall away from the side of her neck, and leaving it exposed. I stared at her neck, wondering how it tasted. Her lips had been soft and sweet, though we'd only shared the one kiss, and I couldn't wait to share many more with her. But for now, there was an inviting expanse of skin below her right ear that was just begging to be kissed. Giving in to the impulse, I leaned forward and kissed her lightly at the base of her neck, and then slowly made my way up towards her ear.

In moments, her breathing became heavier, and she started pressing her body back into mine, as she let out a low moan of pleasure. "Thomas, if you keep that up, we're not leaving this bed for the rest of this vacation," she murmured happily with her eyes still shut. She reached her hand back over her shoulder and entangled it in my hair, pulling my mouth closer to her neck for more.

"Sorry, I was getting hungry, and your neck looked rather tasty this morning," I whispered into her ear, feeling her shiver in my arms.

"For someone who was afraid last night, you seem to be more forward this morning. And since when is my neck tasty? Did you become a vampire overnight?"

"Nope, not a vampire," I assured her with a chuckle. "But if we're going to try this out, I need to make sure you taste good." I captured her ear lobe between my lips and flicked my tongue lightly over it.

She spun quickly in my arms, pressed up closely against me. "Is that all you want to taste?" she smirked as my face turned red.

I tried to maintain my composure, but she certainly wasn't making it easy. "Well, truthfully, no. I'd like to taste every inch of you." I let my hands slide down her back till they were right above her butt, and I felt her tense in anticipation before they stopped. "But with baby steps, the neck will have to do. For now."

"For now?"

"Yes, for now. I think if we're going to take this seriously, then when we're ready we'd have to explore more, right?" I asked.

She smiled at me again, then slowly leaned in while looking me in the eye. Was she testing me? Seeing if I'd pull away? I wasn't sure so I just leaned in as well and met her lips with my own. This time we were both a little hungrier, with our hands already around each other and bodies pressed up against one another. It had been so long since I had a morning like this that I was entranced by the feeling. She moaned lightly as I let my right hand trail a little further down until it was resting lightly on her ass cheek, though I didn't squeeze it. I was just testing the waters.

She pulled back before things got too intense and I could see the flush creeping up her neck. "Yes, yes I think we will have to explore more. Uh huh. Right!" she finally blurted out.

"So, who is the one getting scared now?" I teased.

"Stop that, you just got me a little flustered. I'm not scared!" she retorted.

My right hand was still on her butt, and this time I did squeeze, making her jump in my arms. "Not scared? Are you sure?"

"Are you sure you want to play that game Thomas?" she asked, grinding her hips into mine.

This time I was the one to be flustered for sure. She knew how to make me crazy, but now I didn't mind it, I just needed to go slower. "Avery, I don't think there is a limit to the games I want to play with you. But for now, we're still going slow, right?"

"Ugh, fine!" she pouted.

I kissed her pouting lips quickly, making her change it into a smile. "Maybe we should go get some breakfast?"

"That might be a good idea. I think I could use some food," she admitted. "But this isn't over!"

"I sure hope not!"

We'd seen a little diner on the way to the air bnb, and had vowed to go there for breakfast one morning, since nothing is better than a good diner brunch. We were seated in a little booth, and quickly ordered a pot of coffee to tide us over till we decided on some food. It was a Saturday morning, and the place was pretty busy with a lot of locals and tourists both looking for a bite to eat while TVs behind the counter showed the local news. We both placed our order with the harried young man who looked like he needed at least a couple of other waiters to help him out. But he was able to get our orders in, and before long we were enjoying our food. Avery got her favorite blueberry pancakes, while I went with some over easy eggs, hash browns and bacon.

"You make it very hard to take baby steps," I told Avery. She looked up at me with a smile, blueberry stains on her lips. I leaned across the table and when she thought I was going to kiss her, licked them clean before giving her a quick peck. "Sorry, had to help you with a blueberry situation."

"If I knew that was what it would take to get you to lick me, I'd put the blueberries somewhere else," she teased back.

"Trust me, you won't need the help of blueberries," I assured her with a grin.

Once more she turned a lovely shade of pink, and I was happy to turn the tables on her since she had done that to me so many times in the past. "I like this. Us having breakfast together. This is a nice start to the day," she told me softly.

"I like it too. But earlier was a great way to start too," I pointed out.

She nodded eagerly in agreement. "It really was. Being woken up with neck kisses is a top ten item for me for sure."

"I'll keep that in mind!"

"Thomas, I know it is still early, but I really have a good feeling about this you know." She looked across the table at me, still smiling, and her eyes flashed happily.

I reached across the table and took her hand in mine, squeezing it gently. "I thought a lot about what you said last night. You were right on every count. I think I was so concerned with my own fears that it never occurred that in any relationship both people would have fears. They might not be the same for each person, but they're there and they can influence things. As long as we're open and honest with each other, we should be able to overcome them, right?"

"Right!" she agreed quickly. "Honest communication can get us through almost everything!"

"Hey! Can you turn that up!" yelled a man at the bar, gesturing towards the TV, which was showing a weather report. The sound from the television blared out over the diner, interrupting all conversations.

'New tracking analysis for hurricane Isabella has it turning sharply east in the gulf and making landfall near Tampa Bay some time tomorrow evening. No longer a category 1 storm, it has strengthened to a category 2 in the warm gulf water and could be a category 3 by the time it hits land. We encourage all residents in low lying areas to evacuate by noon tomorrow.'

"Shit, we have to go," I said as soon as I heard the report.

"Yeah, let's go pack and get back home!" she agreed somberly.