24. I Want You to Live

This chapter is dedicated to tonysnarky for their fanfic, 'Tormented -> Newt'

I have attached both a song and gif this time, hopefully the lyrics will help you to understand the song choice. Plus, I love Imagine Dragons.
(This isn't the full song, so you should look it up!)

It's my school holidays now!

6 chapters to go after this one!! OMG!! We've come so far! It feels like ages ago that I started this story, and it only had a few views and likes.
Thank you all so much for supporting this, even when I've been a crappy updater!

--------------------

(Lori's POV)

Newt and Thomas are fighting out in the Glade. I wonder what's going on?
After I finish bandaging up a younger boy who sliced his arm on one of the knives in the Slicer's barn, I go to find Newt.

With carefully footing, I make it down to the first level, past all the Gladers who are worrying about nightfall. I meet Newt at the entrance to the Homestead, grabbing his arm and pulling him upstairs. We weave between the Gladers who roam the hallways, and finally arrive at our destination, as I close the door behind me.

Newt goes and sits over on my bed, and all I do is lean back against the door, letting my head fall back.
"How much did you see?" Newt asks quietly.

I sigh, but don't make any move to look at him, "Enough to know that you and Thomas were fighting. And that it wasn't one of your usual, dumb, testosteroney fights."

"Did you hear anything?'

"No, I didn't, Newt. Is there something I should hear? Because I'd rather it to come from the person in this place who I actually trust."
His silence motivates me to crane my neck forward, and open my eyes. I study his expression for a moment, trying to pick up on any possible emotion or motive. Nada.
"Newt, you need to talk to me, or I'm going to talk to Thomas. I'm sure he'll have a lot to say."

"Wait, wait. Lori, just, just please wait a bloody moment. Please, let me tell you. I want to tell you." He sounds sincere, but then again, I'm in the middle of a Maze, surrounded by boys, and tonight, man-eating robot-creatures are going to come in here and chew us all up.

Oh the joys of living in the damn Glade.

"Okay. But you have five minutes. I need to help set up before the Grievers get here." I slowly walk over, before cautiously sitting beside him.

"The fight was nothing big, I promise. It was just Tommy wanting us to let that bloody girl out of the Slammer. I said no, and he got very defensive."

"Well, what if that was me, Newt? What if the situation was switched?" I reply lightly.
His face scrunches slightly, as I appeared to have struck a nerve within him.
"What?"

"Nothing, nothing. If it was, for some reason, you in the Slammer, I wouldn't want you out."
I scoff at his words, partially offended. Newt is quick to raise his hands, waving them rapidly.
"No, no, no. I didn't mean it like it sounded. I meant that, if that was the situation, and the Grievers were gonna show up, I'd think you'd be safer there. The Slammer would keep you safe, because the Grievers would only go after those out in the open. Do you know what I mean?"

"Yeah I get it." I lower my head, ashamed to think that he would want me locked up. He cares, I should understand that by now.

"Speaking of which, Lori, I want you to be in the Slammer tonight." I raise my eyebrows in confusion. "I want you to be safe tonight, Lori. I want you to live."