7. Welcome to the Med-Jacks

Dedicated to Runner250, thanks for everything :D

--------------------

It has been nearly six days since I entered the Glade. I have finished all the job trials with the Keepers, and am now waiting outside while the Keepers have a Gathering.

I haven't heard from the boy named Thomas since that night. Why has he stopped talking? Each night since then, I would try to talk to him again, but nothing would happen. He never answered.

My thoughts are interrupted by someone walking out. I look up to see Minho, leaning against the door frame.
"Let's go shank. Time to get ya a job" He smirks.

I stand up and wipe dirt, which I don't believe was actually there, from my pants. As I walk through the door, I see all the Keepers looking towards the door, waiting for me. I take a seat in front of the crescent of Keepers, quiet as I wait for them to talk.

"So, Lori, we are here to assign you your job within the Glade" Alby begins. "Will the Keeper of the chosen job please come forward and accept the Greenbean."

After a second or two, Clint stands up and smiles, "Welcome to the Med-Jacks Lori" he smiles. "By orders of Alby, you start tomorrow." I nod and wait to see if anyone has anything else to say. When no one says anything, I stand up and begin to walk out the door.

Just as I have stepped outside of the room, I hear Minho call "Wait up! I need to talk to you."

"What about?" I ask with confusion.

"This is a conversation you may want to have in private" he whispers so that no one else will hear.

He holds his arm outwards as my cue to begin walking. We walk until we are in the Deadheads; alone within the trees. I take a seat underneath the leafy limbs of a tall tree. Minho sits down in front of me and sighs. I expect him to begin talking, but he says nothing.

"Minho? Can you say something please?" He still doesn't talk, just starts playing with the laces on his shoes. "Minho, you're making me nervous. What's wrong?"

He does not raise his head, but I see his eyes lift from his shoes. "What happened the other night?" I tilt my head to the side, unsure of what he is talking about. "I heard you yelling from Newt's room; so what happened?"

My heart drops. Thomas. He's talking about when Thomas communicated with me.
"I- I don't know what you're talking about?" I attempt, raising my eyebrows slightly.

"Seriously shuck-face? I heard you, so tell me what happened that night?"

"Look, Minho, it's complicated."

"Would you rather I ask Alby to ask you?" He smirks.

"Okay, fine. You're such a slinthead" I mutter. "I was just sitting in bed, when I thought I heard something. Next thing I knew, someone was talking to me. It took me a moment to realize, but the person wasn't talking to me out loud" I take a moment to look at Minho, to see if he's still with me.

"What d'ya mean shank?" He questions, his eyebrows pulling together in such a concentrated manner.

"Okay. Um." I try to think of the simplest way to explain it. "Okay. Okay. Um, I'm pretty sure he was talking in my head, but it wasn't me talking to myself - though I do happen to do that sometimes - it was another person. I don't know how, but I know it was another person somewhere, somehow" I spit out.

Minho holds his hands up, just in case I start to talk again. As he lowers his hands his says "Slim it and let me get this straight. You" he points to me "have a random shank talkin' in your head and you don't know who it is?"