14. We Got a Girl Greenie

This chapter is dedicated to _Nutelligence_ for their Maze Runner FanFic, 'Uncontrollable'

----------------------

After we checked if they were back, Newt and I had walked to Frypan's to grab something small to eat to keep ourselves busy. We ended up just sitting across from each other at the table, staring at a sandwich.

I feel my body beginning to shake with fear for my friends, what if something happens to them? I notice a warmth enclose my hand, and glance down quickly to see another wrapped around my own. I look up, and my eyes meet with Newt's as I feel my cheeks heat up.

I observe the worry painted across his face, the fear in his eyes.
I lean across the table so I can whisper to him, "Are you doing alright."

"I don't even know anymore Lori" he laughs bitterly.

"Well, I'm here for you" I squeeze his hand out of reassurance.

He looks over to me and smiles, "I know"

We both sit in silence, hoping for something to come along.
And finally, it did.

"Newt!" Someone screams across the Glade. We both immediately turn towards the doors, to see Thomas standing there, looking back and forth between the Maze and Newt.
"They're coming! I can see 'em!"

Newt is instantly up on his feet, and breaks into a stuttering run across the Glade, towards the Maze doors. I quickly stand up and run after him, catching up fairly quickly. I stay alongside Newt as we run together towards Thomas's fidgeting figure.

The doors are closing quickly. I can't see Minho or Alby, but due to Thomas's stance, I would assume they are no closer to reaching the doors. Newt and I are just past half way to Thomas, and the doors are almost shut now.

Thomas turns back towards us once more, a peculiar glint in his eye.
"Thomas?" I shout.

Newt takes a breif look at me, then back to Thomas, catching on to my thinking. He's going to go in after them, is the only thought streaming through my mind.

"Don't do it, Tommy! Don't you bloody do it!" Newt screams to him. We begin to pick up the pace, but by the time we have ran another five metres, it is too late.

Thomas has ran into the Maze.

I slow to a stop, as the Maze doors slam shut with a sickening crunch.

The Gladers who were going to the doors have all stopped by now, completely shocked by Thomas's actions. Even I was shocked, and I had already broke that rule, like, two days ago.

"How could they not have made it?" I mutter to no one in particular. "If Thomas could see them when he screamed to Newt, they could've ran that distance in that amount of time."

"Something must have happened to one of them" someone answers. I turn to see Gally, a group of who I believe to be Builders surrounding him.

"I guess so. Minho and Alby are fast runners, unless something was wrong, they would have made it back"

He nods before turning to me "It was probably a Griever that injured one of them. Was it even dead?" One of his followers questions me.

"Huh? Was it even dead when you found it, shuckface? Or were you trin' to get another stung like you did with Newt?" Another shouts at me.

I stumble backwards slightly as they continues to comment and theorize what happened, "You can't actually be serious? You think I planned this?" I hiss.

They fall silent as Gally points his finger at me, and carries on his group's rant, "I think, that ever since you showed up, everything has gone wrong"