19. What Gives Me the Right

• Dedicated to Tyson, R.I.P

This may sound cheesy or whatever, but I dedicate this chapter to my beautiful dog. RIP gorgeous boy xoxo

I just want to thank you all for your love and support, it means the world to me xo
*
Sorry this took so long but I haven't really been in the mindset, and I've had a lot of school work. God, this chapter took so much longer to get out. I was literally about to post the chapter, when my stupid computer turned itself off, and of course, I hadn't saved it, so I had to rewrite it.

Please keep voting and commenting, even though I've been a pretty shitty author of late!!!
----------------------

The Gladers stand frozen, necks craned at uncomfortable angles to view the charcoal sky. The Glade is silent, not even the whistling of wind through the trees can be heard.

I turn away from the window, walk past Newt and leave the Homestead. I join the boys in the silence, copying their motions.

How can the sky suddenly be gray?

The Creators. It has to be. But to be able to change the colour of the sky?

Or maybe, it's not the sky at all. What if it's a projection?

My eyes go wide as I run to find one of the boys.

Minho.

As I run up to him, he is whispering to Thomas.
I lightly tap his shoulder, gaining his attention.

"Minho, hey, do you have any idea what's going on?"

A concerned look crosses Minho's features as he frowns.
"I shucking wish. Woke up and the damn sky was grey!"

I look towards Thomas, to see a strange look plastered on his face.
Suddenly, the words hit me like a brick.

'Tom, I triggered the end.'

He definitely knows something, I think to myself. Best to ask him when we're alone.
"So, what are we gonna do about it, Minho?" I ask, trying not to let my fearful thoughts overtake my voice.

Minho scoffs. "We" he emphasizes, "Wont be doing anything. You will be doing your job, being a Med-Jack, while me and shuckface here go and investigate the Maze, because we are Runners" He points to Thomas, making it clear who he was referring to.

His words sting, like putting lemon juice on a papercut. I don't know how, but I remember the pain of that, and it happening, but no faces or places. Just what happened.

Minho is probably my best friend here at the moment, the one I trust, and he's turning on me.

"You can't actually be serious?" I question, my mouth dropping and my eyebrows rising in awe.

"Unfortunately, shank, I am very serious" he sighs.

Thomas steps forward, raising a hand so that I wouldn't say anything. "We didn't want to Lori, but with what happened the last time you went into the Maze, the Leaders decided it wouldn't be a good idea if you were to go back into the Maze."

I look at all three of them. Minho has a serious kook in his face, so I can't really conclude what he's thinking. Thomas is still wearing that fake confused face, trying to cover up that he knows something. And poor little Chuck, is a bystander to all of this.

"Please, I promise to not touch anything, just let me run with you guys." I feel like a child, begging and saying I wont tough anything. Though that's probably just a load of klunk.

"Okay, first of all" Minho raises a finger, "Like you wouldn't touch anything." Damn it, I think to myself.
"And second of all, even if we could, we've been told that your job with the Med-Jacks is more important at the moment."