18. Please Don't Leave

So this is the last chapter I will be updating before I go away.
I dedicate this chapter to LuLuOnFire, for their fanfiction, 'Through The Sorrow(Newt fanfic)

Happy reading lovelies.

----------------------

(Lucinda Whyte POV)

I watch closely as Subject A7 runs, carrying Subject A6 his arms as Subject A2 follows close behind. They run towards the centre of the Maze, the Glade. Checking their brain waves, results show they are, indeed, frightened for her. And so they should be. I, myself, am not even sure what has just happened.

I shut off my computer and walk with haste towards the office of Chancellor Ava Paige, trying not to let my anger show as I ring the bell at the door of her office. The intercom above the door buzzes 'Miss Chancellor Ava Paige is not available right now, if the matter is urgent, please report to Assistant Director Janson for further information.'

I huff in irritation as I walk down the marble halls, my heels making clacking noises as I go. You would think that since he is Assistant Director, his office would be close to hers, I mutter in my head.

Words of disapproval are not spoken here, unless it involves something which has happened within either group of the Trials.

When I finally reach Mr Janson's office, I ring the bell, and an intercom buzzes 'Please identify personal'.
I pull an ID card out of my pocket, and scan it below the bell. After a moment, the door slides open, revealing Janson himself, sitting behind an oak desk looking through papers.
"What can I do for you, Ms Whyte?" He asks, not bothering to look at me.

I walk until I am standing in front of his desk staring down at him. "I am here to inquire about the current happenings of Subject A6" I state firmly.

He lays the papers down, neatly stacking them, before looking up at me, "What about them, Ms Whyte?"

"What happened to her just now is not in any circumstances, the body's ordinary reaction to anything. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that someone made it happen."

"Ah, yes, the little fall she had before" He says, and I nod in confirmation. "You see Ms Whyte, this particular Subject was beginning to remember too much. Somehow, her memories are being triggered ever so often. The Chancellor herself, has appointed me to make sure that this does not happen again. So, I decided, that it would be easier to take some of the memories away. Hence, the blackout. I had scientists remove most of her past which she remembered" He shrugs as if it is nothing.

"But her relationship with Subject A5-"

"Remains as it was" he cuts me off. "He is the main reason she is a part of this, we are not stupid enough, as to take that away."

I stand in silence, unsure of what to say next. Finally, an idea surfaces.
"Assistant Director, would you be willing to allow me to take control of the issue with Subject A6? I understand how busy you are, being second to the Chancellor, and I wouldn't want you burdened with more responsibilities."

Janson laughs in reply, searching my face to see if I'm being serious. "First of all, I am not going to hand away a position given to me by the Chancellor. And secondly, the Chancellor warned me you may ask such a question, so I will tell you what she said to say if you ever asked.

You can't protect your children forever, Ms Whyte."

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

Tom, I just triggered the ending.

I wake up to a pounding pain bouncing all around my skull. I try to sit up, but realize that my hands are tied down. Why are my hands tied down?

I immediately begin to struggle, panic overtaking me as I realize that something is covering my eyes. I drop my hand beside myself, concluding that trying to break the hold is useless. I need someone to come and help me out, I think to myself.