⭒3⭒

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1-year time skip...

A year has passed since you first arrived at Wammy's house and your friendship with Near has started to blossom...

"Nearie... I'm bored..." you pouted while kicking your feet in the air.

"I'm bored Near!"

"NEAR I'M BORED!!" You whined.

He looked up from his dice castle. "Read your book then Kat."

"I HAVE been reading! I'm still bored!" you shut your book and lay down next to where he was sitting on the floor in the library.

After a while of staring up at the ceiling, you closed your eyes for a while.

You felt a soft warm hand gently hold your own and your eyes flew open and sat up immediately.

Why is Near holding my hand...and so randomly too...

You began to blush intensely, while Near was still holding your hand and staring at you oddly.

He started to gently rub his thumb in circles against the back of your hand.

"Near... are you alright...?" you were worried, this sort of behaviour was unlike him.

He reached out his hand towards you and pushed a strand of your hair behind your ear.

He smiled widely...

You could almost swear you saw the same twinkle in his eyes that you saw the day you first came to Wammy's.

He began to gently brush his fingers against your cheek, still silently staring into your eyes with a smile while gripping your hand with his free one.

...You couldn't help but smile too.

"What are you doing Nearie" you giggled.

"You know Kat, you are the first person whom I've considered to be 'beautiful'" he murmured, gently cupping your cheek.

"Oh... thanks..." you blush, shyly looking away.

"You have been my only friend for a year. You did not abandon me or get tired. You genuinely enjoy being by my side." he smiled gently, caressing your cheek.

Oh god, why do I feel so... different...

I'm actually starting to feel nervous around him ...

Why do I want this moment to last forever? Am I possibly catching feelings for Near?

But would liking Near be a bad thing?

Of course, it would...we're best friends! He would never like me in that way... right?

"Oh of course I love spending time with you Nearie, you're my best friend" You giggled, squeezing his hand.

"I am grateful."

You smiled. You knew Near never lies, he genuinely meant every word he said.

You could almost swear you saw him starting to lean in...

Until...

"NEAR! Get away from my girl!" Mello yelled, shoving Near away from you.

"Mello stop it!! Leave him alone! I am not your girl either!" You rushed to help Near up.

Mello stopped you.

"What do you see in him, Kat? I told you he's a loser. You're way too good to be hanging out with this emotionless freak anyway" he gave Near another shove.

"Stop it Mello!" you got in between him and Near, trying to shield Near from Mello's wrath.

"Near is not a freak! He's my best friend! I wouldn't expect you to understand, you just hate him 'cause he's smarter than you" you scoffed.

Suddenly Mello raised his arm and slapped you.

Hard...

You heard a quiet growl coming from behind you. You turned around to see Near with a furious look on his face.

I've never seen him this angry before.

Near stood up and punched Mello in the stomach.

You stood there in shock, you had never seen Near angry before.

"How dare you hurt her..." he said quietly.

"You're going to pay for that you freak!" Mello sneered shoving Near.

Mello began to beat Near up mercilessly. Near tried to fight back of course, but it was no use, Mello was much stronger than him.

"Stop! S-Stop hurting him!" you unsuccessfully tried to pull Mello away from your best friend.

Please stop hurting him... He's all I have left...

You felt so helpless. Near was getting beat up right in front of you, and there was nothing you could do.

You broke down in sobs.

"MELLO!!! MELLO, STOP THIS INSTANT!" Roger pried Mello off of Near.

Mello moved aside to reveal your best friend on the floor.

Near looked horrible...

Bruised, well, everything...
Busted lip, little cuts everywhere.
White shirt now stained red.

It broke your heart...

You cried even harder, running up to him and tackling him in a bear hug.

He winced in pain, hugging you back.

"N-Near!! Are you alright?? I was s-so worried about you, I'm so sorry I couldn't s-stop him. This is all my f-fault! You're hurt because of m-me..." you sobbed onto his chest.

"I am alright Kat. This is not your fault, please do not blame yourself for this." Near rubbed your back.

"Kat please take Near to the nurse's office," Roger said, dragging Mello away.

***

"Please step out Kat, Near must remove his shirt for me to patch him up." The nurse kindly guided you out of the room.

You sat outside of the room, silent tears rolling down your cheeks.

I can't stand seeing him hurt...
I was always upset to see my friends in pain...
But this...
This is a new feeling...

(NEAR POV)

Kat seems to care about me greatly...
Seeing me hurt was enough to drive her usually happy self to tears...

No one has ever cared about me before...
When Mello hit her I felt angry, protective even...
Whenever I see her I feel warm...
I feel like I'm finally at home...

What are these strange new feelings?
I'm not sure, but I am certain that I won't let anyone hurt her again...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the late chapter! I was busy with school.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter:)

Have a great day! <3