⭒12⭒

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***

(NEAR'S POV)

~Three weeks ago~

"What do you mean there's no sign of her anywhere, what on Earth are you good for then?"

What is going on...

Near grumbled as his heavy eyelids refused to open.

He sat up in a flash as last night's events hit him.

"K-Kat?"

"Where is she, Roger? Please tell me they've found her!"

Roger frowned, how could he tell Near that the sole reason for his happiness has disappeared without a trace?

"Near, please lie down son. You just woke up." he attempted to push Near down on the bed.

Near caught his arm, "No Roger, tell me where she is, are you telling me the police of England have reached this level of incompetence!? They can't even find a teenage girl?!"

Roger looked at Near in surprise, it seemed that Y/N's absence has triggered Near to have yet another mental breakdown.

"I'm sorry Near. But the police are calling off the investigation. You have to come to terms with this. Kira is gaining power, therefore you have much more important things to be worried about."

A Wammy's staff member frantically barged into the room, "Sir! Sir! You have an urgent message!"

Roger released himself from Near's grasp, "I will be back quick, I sincerely hope you have composed yourself by then." he left the room, closing the door with a loud bang.

Kat...
How could I ever live without you?
You were the reason I woke up every day...
The only reason why I started to feel like Nate River again...

He had never felt this level of despair before in his life. Tears fell down his pale cheeks as he grabbed at his snow-white hair, "I can't live without you now that I know what it's like to have you by my side."

"I-I can't!" He sobbed.

"Please come back to me Kitty, I'll never stop waiting for you. I love you... more than anyone has ever loved anyone." He stared at the picture of you that he always keeps in his front pocket.

Mello barged into the room and grabbed Near's arm, "Near hurry! Roger says we have to go to his office NOW! It's urgent!"

***

"What was that? Roger?" Mello's mouth hung wide open in disbelief. "What did you just say?!"

Roger shook his head "I'm afraid L is dead."

Mello gasped as he stumbled forward. "He's dead? But how?!"

"Was it Kira? Did Kira kill him??" Mello huffed impatiently, "Come on Roger you have to tell me!"

"Probably."

Mello frantically grabbed Roger by the shoulders. "But he promised me he'd find Kira and execute him, and now you're telling me that he's been killed?"

"Mello... please-" Roger muttered, only to be interrupted by puzzle pieces hitting the ground.

"If you can't win the game...if you can't solve the puzzle...Then you're just a loser." Near stared at the puzzle before him, both his face and voice devoid of emotion.

Mello rolled his eyes, ignoring Near completely, "So, which one of us did L pick? Me or Near?"

"He had not yet chosen, and is now unable to due to his death."

"Mello, Near, please listen... Why can't the two of you just work together on this case?"

"I'm fine with that." Near's monotone voice echoed around the room.

Mello tried not to gag, "Roger you know that that would never work! Me and Near don't get along, we could never do this together! It's always been this way... always..." Mello clenched his fists.

The howling sound of wind echoed, as everyone in the room went silent.

Mello sighed, "You know what Roger? It's alright, Near should be the one to succeed L. He doesn't get emotional like me, it's easy for him just to use his head."

"...and regarding myself, I'm leaving this here institution."

Roger helplessly outstretched out his arm towards Mello, "Mello, please wait-"

"Don't hurt yourself there Roger, I'm almost 15. It's time I start living my life my own way." the door closed behind Mello with a loud bang.

***
~Five years later~

Five years passed since L's demise and Near formed his own task force called the Special Provision for Kira, or SPK for short. The task force consisted of elite FBI and CIA agents, hand-picked to assist Near in the most efficient way possible. Still, he needed a secretary who could assist Near in keeping all of the files organized so both Near and the SPK agents could carry out their work smoothly.

"Agent Lidner, please start posting the application information for our secretary position online and in newspapers. Make sure the applicant has had previous secretary or receptionist experience and is more than fit for this job." Near said as he shuffled his deck of cards.

"Of course Near"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi!

Sorry about my disappearance yet again. I graduated high school! (yay)...

I have been dealing with many issues in my personal life which made me forget about this story for a while.

Anyways I'll begin the next chapter soon! Stay tuned, the story is going to pick up a lot from here! :)