Chapter Nine

Once I had finally gotten something to eat and had showered, Zach and I lay in his bed like we used too when we were little: Zach lying on his back holding me to him as I rested my head on his shoulder. It wasn't weird for us because we had been best friends our whole lives. It's just how we grew up. Unfortunately I couldn't sleep. I checked Zach's alarm clock. It was two forty-five in the morning. Suddenly, my phone starting buzzing. . I untangled myself from Zach's arms and flipped my phone over to see who was calling me. Ryder's name flashed across the screen.

I grabbed my phone and quietly made my way across the room to the balcony outside Zach's room.

"Hello?" I answered lowly.

"Hey, Erin. I just wanted to call and say I'm sorry I got you in trouble..." he trailed off.

I smiled at the fact he had called me, called me, to apologize. "Don't worry about it. It wasn't your fault. It was mine. I did this to myself."

"How much trouble are you in?"

"That's a good question." I answered chuckling. "I actually have no idea. I'm at Zach's house at the moment. I really didn't want to deal with my dad and then my mom and then both of them so I just climbed out of the car and ran to Zach's house."

"Zach kind of hates me, doesn't he?" Ryder asked after a few seconds.

"Mm... I'm not sure if hate is the right word. He's just protective. We've grown up together literally our whole lives. His dad was one of my dad's best friends. So we were raised together. He knows your reputation and just wants to protect me. That's all."

He was silent for a few minutes. If it wasn't for his breaths I could hear through the phone, I would've thought he hung up. "It's always my reputation." he said bitterly.

"What's always your reputation?" I asked confused.

He sighed audibly. "Driving people away. People hear about my reputation and don't take time to get to know me. They either think I'm some huge bad ass and become my friend solely off of that or they think I'm a criminal and avoid me at all costs. Which one are you?"

I felt kind of bad for him. It was sad no one knew who he really was. "I'll be the exception. I'll get to know you, Ryder Daniels. The real you."

"Really?" I could practically hear the smile he was wearing in his voice. "You want to get to know me?"

"Yeah. I want to know what goes on in that soccer head of your's." I said smiling to myself.

Just then the doors to the balcony opened and a tired looking Zach stood in the doorway. "One minute." I hissed into the phone.

"Erin, who are you talking to at three am?" Zach grumbled.

"Um Natalie." I thought quickly. "She's having boy drama and couldn't sleep so she called me."

He nodded. "Well hurry up. We have to get up in like four hours."

"Hey, I gotta go." I told Ryder. "I'll talk to you tomorrow, yeah?"

"Wait! Have lunch with me tomorrow. We'll go off campus. Wherever you want to go."

I smiled. "Yeah. Okay. See you tomorrow."

"Sleep well, Erin." Ryder answered before ending the call.

I followed Zach back inside. We climbed back into bed and I drifted to sleep with a smile on my face.

Yay! Cute couple pictures are making a reappearance! Just so y'all know, the pictures I include in the beginning of the chapters may actually have nothing to do with what happens in the chapter, I just think it's cute and sometimes it does have something to do with what will happen in the chapter.

Hope you guys enjoyed this short little chapter. Who do you think Zach's dad is?

And two old characters from The Boy At My Window will be making an appearance next chapter! Can you guess who? I will dedicate the next chapter to whoever gets both characters correct first. Good luck!

I'm not sure if it was on this story or The Boy At My Window, but someone asked me where I cam up with the character for Ryder I believe. And he is actually based loosely off of someone I know (his name is not Ryder I just thought it was a cool name) and so he inspired the character of Ryder Daniels. If y'all have anymore questions about where the idea for a certain character came from or where the idea for the story came from in general or just a questions about who I am, please feel free to ask me! I would love to answer any questions y'all have about the story or characters or about me!

Avery