Chapter Eleven

When the song finished, Ryder and I didn't move. We stared at each other grinning. Ryder leaned his forehead against mine. "See? Dancing isn't hard."

We were startled by applause. We broke apart and looked around. All the work staff were clapping and whistling. I tucked my hair behind my ear embarrassed and looked away. Ryder took my hand and led me back to our table.

Our waiter broke away from the group and came over to our table. "That was adorable you two." he complimented. "Anyway, my name is Dylan and I'll be your server today. What can I get you two to drink?"

Ryder motioned to me. "Ladies first."

"Uh, I'll have a sweet tea, please."

He jotted this down and turned to Ryder. He ordered a Dr. Pepper.

I leaned back in my chair. "So tell me, how did Ryder Daniels become this Ryder Daniels: the amazing varsity soccer captain and bad boy."

Ryder's expression became serious, "Are you ready for the conversation to take a more down slope turn?" I nodded. "Alright, well, I guess it started in eighth grade. It had happened before before this but not as severely. I knew something was wrong with me. I would randomly feel like I didn't want to do anything. My parents noticed. For days at a time, I would just mope around the house, not wanting to do anything. I didn't want to hang out with my friends or play soccer or play with my older brother or anything. I'd pretty much just lay in bed all day. And then suddenly, I would wake up energized and hyper and want to take on the whole world in one day."

The waiter brought our drinks. "Are you guys ready to order?"

Ryder took a sip of his soda and looked at me. I nodded. I ordered a cheeseburger and Ryder ordered a double bacon cheeseburger.

He continued his story. "My parents decided I need to see a shrink. I went to therapy twice a week and I guess it helped. A bit. Then, freshman year, it got worse. I didn't just mope when I got in those down moods. I would get angry and hurt myself. I would punch things until I couldn't feel the pain anymore or hit my head against the wall until I had split the skin. I was a danger to myself. I was diagnosed with severe bipolar disorder. The pills you found in my center console are my medicine. They help keep my emotions in check. Without them... I dunno. Anyway, when I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and it became apparent I was a threat to myself, my mom decided she didn't want a messed up son. She had her perfect family to uphold. My older brother is the perfect son. She didn't want me ruining her reputation. So, she kicked me out. With my brother's help, I was able to buy that house. When my mom kicked me out, I had nothing. I stopped taking my medicine. I was so depressed. It was my lowest point. My brother snapped me out of it. He reintroduced me to soccer and it pretty much saved my life. Without it, I don't know where I would be today." He took a swig of soda and studied me. "More than you were expecting?"

I nodded. "Much more."

"Well, start eating." Ryder commanded as he squirted ketchup on his burger. "Or we'll be late getting back."

I squirted mustard on burger and responded, "Who cares? I would much rather skip the rest of the day and just wander around the Square. With you." I added quickly and kept speaking, hoping me missed it, "It's such a gorgeous day. I don't want to be cooped up inside all day."

Ryder swallowed his mouthful of burger and looked at me, "You wanna ditch school for the rest of the day?" he smirked. It was adorable. "Little Erin is becoming such the rebel." he crooned. I leaned over and smacked his arm laughing. "Hey! Hey!" he held up his hands in mock surrender. Then, he slowly reached down and threw a French cry at me.

"Ah!" I scoffed. I threw one back and quickly it became an all out French fry war.

It only ended when Ryder and I ran out of fries. We sat back and laughed.