Chapter Eighteen

"Can I borrow your car again?" I whispered to a half asleep Ryder.

After Chris left, Ryder and I laid down on the couch to watch movies and he fell asleep.

Ryder yawned and mumbled a yes before holding me against him tighter. I didn't want to get up. I was content being held against Ryder in his warmth.

I laughed. "Ry, I have to go. I'll be back before I go home. Okay?"

He finally opened his eyes and looked at me. He reached up and brushed away hair that had fallen across my face. "Are you sure you're ready to go home and face your parents?"

I leaned forward and kissed his nose. "It's time. I have to talk to them sometime. Now, let me go. I have to go meet Zach."

He sighed but released his grip on my waist so I could get up. I sat up and pulled my messy hair into a pony tail. I glanced down at Ryder, who was already dosing again. I nudged his shoulder, "Why are you so tired?" I asked standing up.

"My medicine," he responded eyes still closed, "it keeps me awake and alert. I didn't take it this morning. I forgot."

I leaned down and kissed his cheek. "I'll be back later."

"Mmhm..." he muttered drifting off to sleep.

I quietly grabbed the keys from the coffee table and slipped out of the house.

Driving to the lake, I was nervous. I didn't really know what to expect. I was just hoping Zach would hear me out.

I quickly made my way down to the lake and found Zach sitting with his back to me, feet in the water. I sat down beside him quietly.

We sat in silence for a few awkward moments until Zach turned to me. "I'm sorry."

I looked at him surprised. "What?"

"I'm sorry." He repeated. "I jumped to conclusions about Ryder and everything and I'm really sorry. I don't want to lose you either. We've been best friends since the days we were born and I don't want to lose that."

I rested my head on his shoulder. "Thank you." I breathed. That ended up being so much easier than I thought it would be.

Zach wrapped his arm around my shoulders and held me tightly. "Are you two dating?" he asked after a few moments of silence.

I nodded. "Would you please get to know him? Ryder is really a great guy. He's so sweet to me and he respects me. Please. Just get to know him. For me?"

Zach smiled a small smile. "Fine. For you. You're practically my sister, Erin. I just want what's best for you."

I sat up so I could look him in the eye. "I know you want what's best for me, Zach. And I appreciate that. But I also know what's best for me. And Ryder is perfect to me. Get to know him and you'll see."

We sat for a little while longer just enjoying being together.

"I should get going. I need to stop at Ryder's before I go home."

Zach's face darkened. "You stayed at Ryder's house last night?"

I laid a hand on his arm. "Nothing happened." I said slowly. "I just slept over there. I promise. We didn't do anything." He grunted but seemed content with my answer. "I'll see you tomorrow. If my parents don't kill me." I said as I stood up.

Zach stood up with me and gave me a tight hug. "I'll see you tomorrow." he said planting a kiss on my head.

I climbed back into Ryder's car and drove back to his house.