Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Zach. Please. Don't do this here." I begged.

Zach's hands clenched into fists. "Fine." he said through clenched teeth. "Let's take this outside."

Ryder moved to follow Zach. I grabbed his arm to stop him. "Don't do this, Ry. I can't have the two most important guys in my life hurting each other."

He cupped my cheeks in his hands. "I don't want to do this. But if it will shut him up, I have too." he leaned forward and kissed me gently. "Don't watch this."

"Be careful." I whispered before pulling away from Ryder who nodded and turned to follow Zach down the hall.

Despite what Ryder had told me, I slowly made my way down the hall toward the door the boys went out of. I could hear students chanting names. Some chanting Ryder, others chanting Zach.

I stopped in the doorway at the top of the stairs. I had a full view of the fight.

Ryder had Zach pinned to the ground and was beating him. I cringed. But Zach was still fighting back. He shoved Ryder off of him and the crowd cheered loudly. Both got to their feet. Zach lunged for Ryder who side stepped him. I saw anger flash across Ryder's face and he lost all control. He tackled Zach down to the ground. But before he did more damage, two teachers fought their way through the ring of students and pulled apart the two boys.

I finally got a good look at the aftermath. Zach was a bloody mess; I couldn't even tell where the blood was originating from. And Ryder wasn't much better. But I at least could see where the blood was coming from. Blood ran profusely from his nose and a deep cut above his eye.

"Principal's office. Now!" One of the teachers yelled. "And the rest of you, get to class!" The students dispersed quickly in all directions.

I followed behind the teachers to the office and sat waiting outside until Zach and Ryder emerged.

The door opened and I pushed myself up from the seat leaning heavily on my crutches. "So? What's the verdict?"

Zach pushed passed me with no answer and stalked off down the hall towards the nurse's office I assumed. I turned to Ryder with a questioning look.

"Three day suspension for Zach." he told me.

"And for you?"

Ryder looked away from me. "That was my last strike. I'm expelled." he gritted. "Your jerk of a best friend made it seem like the entire fight was my fault." He continued his voice beginning to rise. "If he hadn't been trying so hard to protect you from nothing this wouldn't have happened! I wouldn't be expelled!" he screamed.

I reached out a hand to comfort him. "Ry..."

"No!" he screamed cutting me off. He took a deep huffing breath. "Erin, I'm done. I'm stepping down from this one. I'm causing too much trouble in your life, with your parents and Zach and your soccer season is ruined. I can't keep doing this to you." Tears ran down my cheeks as I realized what he meant. His stony face softened and he cupped my cheeks. "Erin, I love you and that won't ever change but I can't keep making your life hard and causing trouble for you. I have to step away." he pressed his lips in a gentle kiss to my forehead and walked away.

Ryder didn't look back.

PUT YOUR WEAPONS DOWN! Please don't kill me for this... I know I'm terrible you guys but it had to be done.

The book is almost over and one of the last few chapters you will love because it will be in Ryder's point of view. So hang in there dear readers! I love you guys.

Avery