Ch. 13

I was enjoying listening to the argument between Hudson and Annabelle today. They were fighting over whether one of the latest celebrities involved in a scandal should be canceled or not.

Hudson's argument was that while he doesn't normally think canceling is worth the drama, this particular scandal was bad enough that the model had to be "canceled". Annabelle worshipped this celebrity and tried to defend her. Her defense was so fervent that it was as if she was fighting for someone she actually knows in real life.

"What she did is illegal and if she wasn't famous she'd be going to jail. Of course, she should lose endorsements," Hudson said. His exasperation was evident.

"People make mistakes. That doesn't mean she should lose all of her opportunities and contracts," Annabelle clapped her hands to emphasize her point. "She is a businesswoman."

"Oh please, you're acting like she's poor and needs these brands. She will be just fine."

"Grant, what do you think?" Belle snapped her head towards Grant who was smart enough to stay quiet during this heated exchange. Her arms were crossed and her foot impatiently tapping on the tile floor.

"Uh, can I be neutral in this?"

"No!" Both Annabelle and Hudson shouted.

"Um, I don't know. I mean, what she did was really messed up, but I agree, people make mistakes and she apologized."

"An apology isn't enough in this situation and honestly her statement sounded canned. I'm sure her PR people told her she had to apologize if she wanted to save a shred of her career."

"Look, I know she meant it. I know she is genuinely a good person," Belle brought both her hands to her chest like she was deeply touched by the apology.

The whole conversation was highly entertaining and I couldn't wait to see who would win out in the end. Neither Hudson nor Belle seemed willing to give up and allow the other to have the last word. I know I had thought about the idea of setting them up a few weeks ago because of the whole opposites attract thing, but I think they might actually murder each other if they were in a relationship.

"Caitlin."

"Not now, I need to hear what Hudson's reply is going to be," I sat with a goofy grin on my face, listening to my friends fight.

"Caitlin, we need to go to Maryann's room."

"Right now? This is live entertainment!" My eyes didn't move off my friends afraid I'd miss another verbal jab or a real, physical one.

"Yes, it can't wait."

I looked at Sera and saw she looked serious. "Is something wrong?"

"Just come."

"Okay."

I got off the edge of my bed and looked back at my friends one more time before leaving the room. They were still going at it.

"What's so important that I had to leave that?" I pointed behind me with my thumb.

"There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to say it. Maryann is moving on."

"She's waking up from her coma?" I said excitedly. "That's great!" I was so happy for her. A part of me was a little jealous that she was getting up before me when I'd been here longer. But, I know she had a harder time adjusting than I did so ultimately I'm glad she'll be awake first.

"She's not waking up. She's moving on to heaven," Sera replied and stopped to face me. To make sure I understood what she was saying.

I stared at Sera for a minute. I was trying to process what she was telling me. Maryann was going....to die?