24) I LOVE YOU

I walked through the camp, watching people packing up their belongings, tying them to their horses, or sending them back with the retreating women. 

"Little Hobbits do not belong in war Master Meriadoc," said Theoden.

"All my friends have gone to battle. I would be ashamed to be left behind," Merry told the king. I stopped, hiding my body behind a rough stone wall.

"It's a three-day gallop to Minas Tirith and none of my riders can bear you as a burden."

"I want to fight!" Merry exclaimed, his face contorting into anger and sadness. I felt a knot rise in my throat. I could've saved him so much pain, so much anger. But instead, I hid in the shadows, cowering from everyone - afraid of what could happen if I didn't. Enough hiding, I thought. Enough pretending. Enough! I wasn't about to let the people I cared about get hurt.

"I will say no more," said the king. He turned and rode away. Merry watched him leave, looking forlorn. A rider approached him from behind and caught him by the collar, swinging him up into the saddle.

"Ride with me!" Eowyn had a helmet covering the majority of her face.

"My lady!" Merry exclaimed, smiling. Eowyn caught my eye, and gave me the faintest of nods.

I mounted Gwaihir, shoving my own helmet roughly onto my head. I secured my wand, my sword and my bow, and rode out to meet with the rest of the gathering riders.

"Ride! Ride now to Gondor!" shouted Théoden. The riders filed out of the valley. I followed, my only thought: Protect them.

<<>><<>><<>>

*3RD PERSON*

"In there," Gollum gestured to the entrance of the cave.

"What is this place?" Frodo asked, uncertainty clear on his face.

"Master must go inside the tunnel."

"Now that I'm here, I don't think I want to," Frodo replied, backing away.

"It's the only way. Go in, or go back."

"I can't go back." He walked into the tunnel entrance. Gollum's eyes followed him. "What's that smell?" asked the Hobbit.

"Orcses' filth. Orcses come in here sometimes."

They walked further into the tunnel. It was pitch black.

"hurry! This way!" Gollum cried, running out in front of Frodo. Frodo continued on alone.

"Smeagol?" he called. Gollum's reply sounded distant.

"Over here!"

Frodo stumbled around, blind in the darkness. He fell against the wall and his hands were caught in a spider web.

"Ah aah! Its sticky! What is it?"

In the distance, Gollum called, "You'll see. Oh yes, you will see."

Frodo moved forward slowly. Tears burnt his eyes.

"Smeagol! Smeagol! SMEAGOL!" he called out. "Sam," he muttered as he walked forward into some bones. He shrieked, a terrified look on his face. "Connor," He murmured, almost sobbing. He began to panic, running through the tunnels with no guidance. He fell, and was tangled in webs on the floor. He fought to stand, but staggered back again. A voice sounded in his head.

"And you Frodo Baggins, I give you the light of E'rendil, our most beloved star." Frodo fumbled around in his pocket and pulled out the phial given to him by Galadriel and looks at it. "May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out."