29)I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING

*MARIA'S POV* 

We had arrived back at Minas Tirith the day after the battle. We hadn't buried Lily yet; we were waiting for Frodo, Sam and Connor to wake up. Gandalf had brought them back the same day we returned and they were resting.

It had been two days. Sam was the first to wake up. Merry and Pippin were ecstatic that he was back. But Pippin was still hurting. Lily had meant so much to him. He tried really hard to cover it up, pretending to be OK, but we all knew he wasn't. the same went for me. I was trying my hardest to be all right, or at least, pretend to be. I wasn't succeeding too well.

I was sitting outside Connor's room, waiting for him to wake up. The others were scattered around the courtyard.

Finally, after what seemed like years, Connor's door creaked open. He peaked his head out. I leaped up from my seat and stared at him.

"Hi," he said timidly.

"Hey," I said back, standing awkwardly in the doorframe. Then he launched himself out the door and latched onto me. I laughed and wrapped my arms around him.

"I missed you so much," he whispered.

"I missed you too."

Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Merry, Pippin and Sam rounded the corner upon hearing our voices.

There was lots of shouting, lots of hugging and a small amount of crying. Everything kind of blurred together for me. I was so overwhelmed by seeing Connor again. Merry laced our fingers together. I leant my head on his shoulder and he put his arm around my waist, pulling me into his side. Connor saw this, and smirked.

"Well then," he said, putting his hands on his hips. I smiled and blushed when everyone turned to look at us. Merry kissed my temple and grinned at me. He'd been there for me after Lily died. He realised that I wasn't actually dealing with it - that I wasn't accepting that she was gone - and he didn't try to make me. He just held my hand through it all.

"Yeah..." I mumbled.

"I knew it! Where's Lily? She owes me a beer!" Connor said happily. Pippin burst into tears again. The smiles were wiped off of everyone's faces.

"I'll take you to her," I said quietly. "Come with me."

"Ria," Connor started but never finished. I lead him down the stone steps towards where we were keeping Lily. He walking into the room, and saw her laying there, the flowers I had given her still clutched in her hands. "No."

I hugged him as he cried. We stayed down there with Lily for a long while.

Aragorn came down later to tell us that Frodo was awake, and we left to go see him.

Merry and Pippin were jumping on Frodo's bed. Sam was standing on the doorway, watching them. Aragorn, Legolas, Gandalf and Gimli were standing at the foot of the bed, smiling. When Connor and I entered, everyone stilled. I hugged Frodo and congratulated him. Connor stood perfectly still in the centre of the room. He didn't move away, but he didn't go any closer to Frodo. We all watched curiously. Frodo slowly removed himself from his sheets and wobbled over to Connor.

"Frodo -" Connor started but was cut off by Frodo kissing him passionately. My eyes went wide and my jaw dropped. I let out a small gasp and a little laugh. Everyone else's faces held the same shock as mine.

"I did not see that coming," I said laughing.

"I love you," said Frodo.

"I love you too," Connor answered grinning like a fool.