Chapter 3

"It doesn't look like you girls belong to a kingdom." The boy who, I fought with hummed.

Growling at the sting as the guy before me, cleaned my bullet wounds. He muttered a small sorry, but didn't look up at me. Acting more focused on my wounds, as if it was life or death.

"A kingdom?" Rose asked.

We've been traveling from Missouri to here, in Colorado as much as we could in the past year and a half, on foot. If we find a place that has a lot of resources then we'll stay there until the resources are used up. We did manage to find a couple of small make shift communities, but they were over ran by zombies after a while. It was luck that one of those was able to last through the winter and we were lucky to have been there. We've never came across anyplace that called themselves a kingdom, though.

"There's four across America. There like large towns for people who make it." The one doctoring me explained finishing wrapping up my neck, "Okay, so you're going to be in pain for some time. I would take it easy for a while." Nodding, I stopped when I realized that doing that made me very dizzy.

"We never heard of these kingdoms." Cassie announced, "We've traveled a lot, though, from Missouri."

"I'm surprised you didn't head towards the east coast or south." The brown haired boy hummed, "What made you decide to head this way?"

"Skylar said that if the virus had infected our small towns, then it would be worse in the larger cities, on the coasts. Specifically, cities like Chicago, New York, D.C., and Galveston." Rose motioned to me, making the guys look at me.

"So you're actually good for something other than attacking people." The red haired guy, who tried to kill me, grumbled. I glared at him, before for using the wall for support to stand and pulling out my knife. If he's challenging me again, I'm more than game. I'm not going to be insulted by a bad tempered idiot, no matter how injured I am.

"Chase, learn to shut up." The doctor snapped, making the guy chuckle as he stood.

"She can't do anything. She can hardly stand, let alone fight." Just to prove it, he walked over and lightly poked my head. Making my head ache before I slid back to the floor.

His name is Chase then. Closing my eyes to think, I tried to place the name, Gavin, to a voice. From the way it sounded, seems like Gavin is the guy who fixed my wounds. Well, now that I know that he's the one who shot me, I now have a reason not to trust him. The brown haired boy couldn't hold me down, so he's not really a threat to me. When I finally got all that figured out, I turned back into the conversation.

"I'm Rose. The girl with glasses is Cassie. The blonde fighter over there is Skylar, as you already know." Rose introduced, making me glare at her.

What was the point in telling them our names? I suppose if you know the name of something, it's harder to kill that thing. That may work for us, maybe. Blinking out of my thoughts I turned back in to see that Chase was smirking at us.

"I'm Chase the thin twig is Lukas. The black haired guy is Gavin." He returned the introduction. Sighing, I closed my eyes to focus on my breathing and to calm down. With all that adrenaline running through me, it will take a lot of concentration to relax.

Blinking my eyes open, when someone nudged me, I saw Gavin kneeling by me with a paper bowl of the vegetables we cooked. My nose wrinkled at the smell in disgust.

"Eat up. You're going to need your energy if you want to heal faster." He coughed, clearly trying to hide a laugh.

Trying not to groan, I took the bowl from him and began to eat. He's right about me healing faster though. Out of Me, Rose, and Cassie I'm the best fighter. Sure they can kill their fair share of zombies, but I'm the one who make a plan and kills more to get us out of tight situations. I can't do that though if I'm hurt.

Finishing the food, I closed my eyes to concentrate on keeping the carrots down. I'm not usually a picky eater, but there are some things I just can't stomach.

Feeling something brush my shoulder, I looked over at Gavin, who was now sitting by me.

"You've all really been struggling, haven't you?" Deciding that not even answering would be better, than playing a game of twenty questions, I returned my focus to calming my breathing. Eventually falling asleep.