Chapter 5

"That sounds like an amazing plan!" Rose cheered, nearly jumping up at Chase's offer to take us to the kingdoms. Seems the boys already discussed this without us knowing. Frowning at her immediate eagerness, I glanced over at Cassie. She seems hesitant, like me. I can tell that she's remembering the last town we were in, that got over ran. I'm sure none of us want a close call like that again. As if sensing our weariness, Rose turned to us.

"We can actually have a place to stay before winter comes." She pointed out. That probably the only logical reason to go, but it's a good one. At least we won't have to be out all the time in the cold searching for food or fighting zombies. 

"Then I guess we're going?" Cassie questioned looking over at me. It physically hurt me to nod, but it's either that or the pain of speaking.

"Gavin is back with the horses so we should get going." Lukas announced as he and the others stood. I waited for them to get out of the cabin, before standing. Glancing around at the items that were still scattered about. Heaven knows how this is going to work out if all four of them are this forgetful.

Crossing my arms as I leaned against the closest wall, I waited for them all to come back. Smirking at them, when they did and they started stuffing items into bags.

"Skylar, I found your gun." Gavin called, handing it to me. Taking it from him, I checked it over. A little dirty from being outside all night, but otherwise okay.

"You know, a gun isn't really a good idea with zombies." He pointed out, as I rolled my eyes and headed out the door, "No really. The gunshot will attract more zombies."

Sighing to let out some annoyance, I looked up at the horses. I haven't ridden a horse since I was a kid, but I know with my injured let it will be hard to climb on the saddle.

"Skylar, isn't this great?" Rose cheered, wrapping an arm around my shoulders in excitement.

Sucking in a sharp breath as pain ran up my arm, I nodded just to get her to let me go. She's so happy, but I can almost hear a voice in my head, screaming that I have to stop us from going with them. That going with this is a bad idea.

"I think we're ready to go." Cassie reported walking over to me, "I know how uncomfortable you are about this, but we can't go through the winter scavenging and not knowing if we're going to survive the next day. We can't go from place to place in the cold, every other day. We'll freeze to death."

She's right about that. Similar to me, she uses logic to make decisions. However, similar to Rose, she'll also use her caring nature to help others. Sometimes even at our extent.

Watching her walk off towards Lukas, I tensed when Gavin approached while ridding a horse.

"You'll be ridding with me, Skylar." He announced, much to my displeasure. I would honestly just walk, even if I'm injured. I didn't get much of a choice though, because someone grabbed me from behind and lifted me onto the saddle, in front of Gavin.

"You're wasting time, just standing there." Chase huffed, walking away as I glared at him. I really hope I don't have to deal with him to much. I can't guarantee we won't get into a fight other wise.

Hanging onto the saddle horn as the horses moved, I almost relaxed at how soothing this was. If it wasn't for the fact that this is the end of the world, this would be nice.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself." Tensing at Gavin's words, I immediately started surveying our surroundings for danger, "That was supposed to be a nice remark. I didn't think that would put you on edge."

Pretending to ignore him, I kept surveying the woods around us, until he held something in front of my face. A small black, worn leather wallet, my wallet. Actually, my dad's old wallet to be exact.

"I found this by the gun when I went to get it." He explained as I snatched it from him, "I figured it was yours too. I didn't go through it though."

Counting all the stuff I had inside, I sighed when it was all there. Things like money or business cards don't mean anything anymore, but I have been using this wallet to keep pictures of family and friends before the apocalypses. I even have my old phone card incase I manage to find a place with a cell phone and electricity. I know it's wishful thinking, but at least these remind me that at one point, I was a caring, emotional human.

"That wallet is really important to you, isn't it?"

Biting back a whimper, I simply put the wallet in a pocket inside my jacket. I won't lose it again there. Besides, I don't have to answer to Gavin.

"You know, it's best if you don't hold grudges while you in the kingdom. It's one of the most advanced ones currently, but our population is only decent at best. It's not the place you want to make enemies." 

Glaring back at him from over my shoulder, I tried to figure out if he was threatening me or not. The indifferent expression on his face told me he wasn't, but his choice of words sounded like a threat.

"Chase says we're here." Rose called from somewhere behind us. Then we should be seeing a town soon. Keeping watch, I went tense when I spotted back figures moving towards us quickly. Tapping Gavin's arm to let him know that something was coming, I hoped that he would have enough common sense to take the horses off the road. Instead of getting the warning, he had the horse speed up. When it got closer, I saw that it was a group of riders with a couple wagons.

"Gavin, Chase, Lukas we were expecting you all back, several days ago." The man on the front horse reported, almost like he was going to lecture them.

"We were searching more of the nearby houses and found more survivors." Gavin answered, as if that was a good excuse.

Noticing that the man was studying me, I moved back to get as far from him as possible, without falling off the horse.

"She's injured." He pointed out, like that wasn't obvious.

"There was a moment of miscommunication." That was a fast cover story, that was also a lie. Rolling my eyes, I surveyed the rest of the group. There were at least 10 of them. All ranging in various ages.

Realizing that the horse was moving to the back of a wagon, I held onto the horn of the saddle as Gavin tried to pass me to one of the men in it. I don't know these people and I'm not getting in a wagon with a stranger.

"Give her something to relax and let's get back." I heard the leader call. I knew this was a trap. They're tricking us and now they won't let us leave. Glaring at Gavin for his betrayal, I hoped he saw my hatred and would have nightmares about me. Then, I felt a sharp pain in my leg before my world went dark.