Chapter 13

I hate this so much. Pulling on my coat, I glanced in the living room where I saw Rose and Cassie trying to sew blankets. I haven't seen them so relaxed in a long time. I can't take this from them.

"You're already going on patrol?" Cassie asked, sounding surprised.

"Yeah, I'll be back later." I lied, leaving.

The second I stepped out, I had to stuff down a groan of annoyance, while Gavin gave me a sheepish grin. Figures he would be the one to come make sure I show up to my prison sentence. 

"I hoped you would come around." He chuckled, holding out a cup that was steaming, "I take it you're not a morning person."

"I'm not an awake person." I muttered, accepting the drink from him and taking a sip, immediately grimacing at the dressed-up coffee.

This is going to be a bad day, I already know. At least it's warm, compared to the chill in the air. Cupping my hands around it, I nodded to a few people we passed. When I was sure we were out of earshot, I glanced at him.

"You know this is wrong, right?" I asked, noticing his frown, "There's no way to bring people back from the dead."

He was quiet for a little while, before he stopped walking, "I know, but people still have hope. Insane aren't dead, technically. If you had loved ones who were Insane and remembered you, wouldn't you want them back?"

Now it's my turn to be quiet. I know there's no one like that for me. My father died when my little brother was a baby, mom kicked me out when I turned 18, so my siblings didn't get to see me much after that. My siblings would remember each other, but not me. Rose would remember her mom and Cassie would remember her dad. Letting out a sigh, I handed him the coffee.

"Bold of you to assume I have people who would remember me." I muttered, continuing onto the secret cabin. 

I expected Evelyn to open the door, but instead when the door opened, there was a high-pitched squeal and Angelina rushed out. She latched herself onto Gavin like a zombie on its prey. He visibly looked uncomfortable as she hugged him. I almost feel bad for him. Going in, I immediately took a seat at the table. Evelyn's Insane husband was still in his cage, though he didn't growl, but his black and golden eyes still watched me. As long as he's in there and can't get me, I'm fine with him.

"So, you decided to come." Evelyn chirped, glancing at me before heading towards another counter, then handing me another steaming cup, "You look exhausted."

Taking a hesitant sniff, I was satisfied when it was straight coffee, "It was a rough night."

Sipping on it, I tried not to grimace as Angelina's voice entered the cabin, "So, that's why I'm here."

"What do me and Gavin need to do?" I asked, earning a shrug from Evelyn.

"I doubt you two are eager for this experiment. We can't have them escaping again though." She explained, before putting a small binder in front of me, "Every 30 minutes, one of you needs to go make sure that the pen is staying attached outside. Aside from that, I thought you would want to read to learn more about this place."

I've got nothing better to do. Opening the book, I skimmed through part of the old history of the town, and how this kingdom started building at the beginning of the end. Then the discovery of the Insane and the building of the other three kingdoms. What caught my attention though were the holidays. I didn't even think they would celebrate these. Christmas, New Years, even birthdays. What I didn't expect to be on here was Valentine's Day.

"Why do you celebrate Valentine's Day?" I asked, looking up and realizing that Angelina still hadn't let Gavin go.

"It's romantic." She sighed, resting her chin on his shoulder, "It's a big celebration where we dance the night the way and the people our age gets engaged."